Passed

Ice woke up and sensed a different feeling in the house. He sighed and figured Bobs mother had passed.

He got out of bed and was filled in by Rooster as he walked out of the room. He saw Maverick downstairs talking to EMTs and police. Bobs father wasn't even there.

Ice frowned and walked down the hall to the senators office and saw him hugging his daughters and comforting them. Ice felt something switch.

The Senator was a kind father to his daughters, but to his son... he just didn't exist. He knocked and stepped in.

"Senator, May I speak to you?" Ice said. Bobs father nodded and motioned his daughters out. Ice nodded to them and closed the door.

"Why on earth do you hate your son?" Ice said.

The Senator looked at Ice and frowned slightly. "How dare you interrogate me about my son and I relationship?"

"What am I supposed to do when I see you giving more comfort to your daughters who barely look broken by their mothers death than your son who I heard collapsed at his mothers death?" Ice said.

"You're not even downstairs talking to the police and EMTs! My husband is down there doing it for you!" Ice said.

The Senator glared at him. "My wife was a kind woman. But we were in a loveless marriage. I wanted a son, she gave me a son who was a failure beyond all measure. He didn't even study law, he didn't go into politics, he instead decided to go into the navy! Of all things... and here he is, not even married, a wreck of a girlfriend, and he's a teacher of all things!" Ice clenched his fists and turned his head.

"He's a failure... he did nothing right. He's not tough, he's not a man. He can barely do anything. I wish he would've died on that mission so I wouldn't of had to see his face again..." the Senator said.

Ice was going to say something when the door opened slightly. Ice looked over and saw a person who looked like Bob walk away.

Ice looked at the Senator. "You're a disappointment to your family... especially your son." He stepped out and looked for where Bob went.

He suddenly saw the mothers room door slightly open. He sighed and stepped over and opened the door carefully.

He saw Bob sitting against the bed on the ground. His knees were pulled up against his chest, and around his eyes were red.

Ice stepped over to him and stood in front of him. "It's not good for you to be in here." He said calmly.

"I know..." Bob said quietly.

"Did you hear what your father said?" Ice asked.

"Yeah... it's kinda hard not to hear it when you're walking by the room and your sisters are glaring at you." He said. Ice nodded slightly.

"I know... don't believe anything he said. You aren't a disappointment." Ice said as he looked at Bob. Bob just shook his head.

"I am..." Bob said quietly.

"And how are you a disappointment? You are one of the greatest back-seater I have ever seen in my time kid..." ice said.

"I couldn't even do what my father wanted to keep this family together." Bob said. Ice stood and thought about that. He sighed and pulled Bob up. "It wasn't your job to be the one to keep this family together. It was on your father for dividing it, and it was on him for keeping it that way." Ice said as he met Bobs gaze.

"This... none of it was your fault. Don't blame yourself for something that was caused by someone else. Understood?" Ice said seriously. Bob simply nodded.

"Good..." Ice then motioned him out as the medical services made they way into the room. They placed Bobs mother on a stretcher and took her out of the room.

Bob teared up but looked away as his father came done the hall to him. "Your mother wished to buried. Her.. her request was for you and your friends to be there. Your sisters and I will be leaving in an hour for an engagement in DC." Bob felt anger going through his body as he listened to his father speak.

He wasn't even going to be at his mother funeral. He wasn't even going to put his wife to rest.

"Sounds normal. You never were there for the important things." Bob said as he walked down the stairs. He walked over to the group and sat with them.

Ice looked at the Senator and sighed. "You had every opportunity." He simply averted his gaze and went down with the group.

The next day, the group only had the burial. They were the only people there for the funeral.

His grandparents had passed years ago, his father was in DC with his sisters.

He was the only family who bothered to show and be there. Bob stood there in front of the group, watching his mothers grave be filled with soil. He was gripping his wrist tightly as he held back his tears.

He was always reminded as a young boy that tears were a sign of weakness. The constant message of "tears make a man weak" or the "take it like a man" speech.

Bob always wondered why couldn't he just act human. His emotions were real, and were there, why couldn't he as a man be emotional?

Thankfully, he taught himself that it was okay to cry. He thought it felt better to cry. It made his anger go away.

After waiting for hours for his mother to be completely buried, he pulled out of his pocket a pack of seeds. He walked over to the grave and sprinkled the seeds on top.

"I know you hated cut up flowers... so, here is some permanent flowers. I love you." He said as he finished.

"And don't worry... I know you'll be right here with me, in my heart."