Step Down

Rooster took Nicole and Hangman back to their home. Rooster walked in and took Nicole up to her room.

Hangman stayed downstairs and looked at the picture of him, Rooster and Nicole.

He never thought he would have his own family. Especially after his first engagement he never thought he'd be lovable with all of his trauma.

He didn't think he was a lovable person with his attitude.

Now he was an Instructor at Top Gun, he was married to his dream guy, has a daughter and friends. He smiled softly to himself and placed the picture in a frame and placed it on the table by the front door.

He felt tears welling in eyes as he felt just how complete his life was. As he was reminiscing, he felt a hand touch his waist.

"You alright?" Rooster asked him. Hangman looked at him and just kissed him. Rooster kissed him back. "You're in a good mood." Rooster said.

"Thank you... for giving me a life worth living." Hangman said. Rooster just chuckled and kissed his cheek.

"You're welcome my love." Rooster said as he just looked at him. Hangman smiled softly and sighed as he looked over at the stairs.

"Is she asleep?" He asked since he didn't hear Nicole.

"Oh yeah. She was ready to pass out. She saw her bed, laid down, and was out in less than a minute." Rooster said as he sat down on a chair and started to take off his boots.

"Poor girl." Hangman said as he also started to take off his boots. He knew Nicole had been through a lot, but now... he intended to give her a good life and spoil her almost.

He just wanted her to have a good life.

Rooster pulled his flight suit off and sighed in relief as he messed up his hair. "I'm just going straight to bed. We both have to be at the school tomorrow. We're both doing Sorties."

Hangman looked at him. "Who's gonna watch Nicole?"

"Someone on the ground who isn't doing much." Rooster said as Hangman took off his flight suit.

"Ah... alright.  Which would be... Maverick?" Hangman said. Rooster nodded as he folded his flight suit on his arm properly.

The two went upstairs and Immediately got into bed. The two sighed in relief as they felt themselves relax into the blankets and pillows.

Pure bliss.

The two started to fall asleep when they suddenly heard a small something crawl onto their bed. "Can.. can I stay in here... I don't like being alone." Nicole said quietly.

Rooster motioned her over and lifted up the blanket. She laid down between the two and passed out again.

Hangman looked at her and rubbed her head.

"Night you two..."

The next day, Roosters phone was ringing. He groaned in his pillow and sat up slowly.

He begrudgingly answered and sighed. "This is Bradshaw..."

"Hey. You need to be here at the Hangar in 45 minutes. Todays Ices retirement ceremony." Maverick said quickly. Rooster looked up confused and tired.

"He's retired?"

"As of yesterday, yes. Bring the kiddo." He hung up. Rooster looked over to wake Hangman but was met by the cutest sight he had ever seen.

Hangman as asleep on his back and Nicole was asleep on top of him. Rooster stared and smile softly. He grabbed his phone and took a  picture of the two of them.

He then got up and kissed both their heads. "Wake up you two. Time for us to get ready." Rooster said as he picked up Nicole to go get her ready.

Shortly later, after getting ready in the most chaotic fashion, the family headed to the hangar. Hangman and Rooster were in their dress whites and Nicole was in a little white dress with blue shoes.

"Why are we always told last minute about ceremonies like this?" Hangman said in annoyance as they parked in front of the hangar.

"We do best under pressure." Rooster said as he got out and picked Nicole out of the car. She was silent, which meant she was observing. They walked into the hangar and were greeted by Bob.

"Hi guys. You guys are seated up front. It's going to be a shorter ceremony since Ice really isn't doing well." Bob said. Rooster nodded and took a seat next to Phoenix.

"How are you pregnant lady?" Rooster said teasingly. She shook her head.

"Just don't ask me anything about it, or you will find out real quick how I'm doing." She said as she held her head. Rooster recognized what was wrong.

"Morning sickness?" He asked. She nodded and sighed in annoyance cause of her pain. "I want to be in bed right now..." she said tiredly. He was about to say something when Maverick when up front.

"Room! Atten- hut!" Everyone stood.  Maverick watched as Ice walked up the aisle of people leaning heavily on his crutch.

"Today we are gathered here to recognize the 35 years of service that Fleet Admiral Tom "Ice" Kazansky gave to this nation. He was first in his class at at Top Gun in 86', rose through the ranks quickly, was the Commander of the Pacific Fleet, and was the Fleet Admiral for the nation and the war effort." Maverick said.

"Due to his battle with cancer, he had come to the ultimate decision of letting go of the navy. He has been in so much pain since the war started, and despite it, he charged forward to keep us under a constant leadership during the war." Maverick said as Ice stood in front.

Maverick looked at his husband and had a smile on his face. "And after all his years of service... he finally gets to take break and enjoy the fact he has a granddaughter and a future one on the way." Maverick said proudly.

Ice nodded his head and chuckle. "So... Room! Present! Arms!"

Everyone saluted him. Then they placed their arms down.

"Any words sir as you pass on command?" Maverick said

Ice turned and looked at them. "It's been an honor to fight by your sides and be... be your commander." He said weakly.

"It's.. been my greatest honor."