Forward

Maverick helped Ice back to the house as Hangman and Rooster showed up.

Rooster got out of the car and looked at Ice. Ice met the boys gaze. Rooster could now see all of the pain and illness that covered his face.

Rooster felt an anguish rise through him as he watched. He just cleared his throat and looked at his parents. "May we talk to you both?" Rooster said.

Maverick looked at Ice to make sure he was okay enough to have a conversation. Ice simply nodded as the two walked towards him.

They all sat together on the porch.

"We want to get married here, in the next few days so that you won't miss the wedding. So instead of having it in a year, we want it to be sooner than later so that you can see it." Hangman said as he looked at Ice.

Ice simply shook his head. "You guys don't have to take me into account for this... I'm just here."  

Rooster shook his head. "My parents both will miss my wedding for obvious reasons. I need you to be there. You've raised me, you're just as much as my father like maverick is." Rooster said quickly as he met Ices gaze.

Ice felt tears welling up in his eyes. He never thought he played a vital role in this boys life. He kinda felt like the uncle that would show up at random, but the fact he's being told this upfront made everything better for him.

"Okay..."

Rooster nodded and stood. "Well.. um. I need to call phoenix and let her know. She's my best man... and Jake figure out who yours is." Rooster quickly walked off the porch and walked towards the garden.

Hangman knew Rooster was grieving... it was best to leave him alone for a bit. He was going to lost another parent, he needed some space to breathe.

"Jake..." ice said. Hangman spun around and looked at Ice. Hangman could see the illness taking over the man he looked up to.

"Take care of my kid... he's gonna need you."he said right before he fell into a coughing fit. Hangman started to feel himself get emotional as Maverick comforted his husband.

"Yes sir..." hangman said. He nodded and walked off and felt his heart being torn into shreds. He looked up to Ice as a father, mentor, and legend.

It's hard seeing people you consider strong be brought down by an unseen enemy. An enemy you can't shoot with an F-18. He hated it... but it's the cruel reality.

He just took a deep breath, shook himself out and called Coyote. He listened to the phone ring until someone picked up.

"Hey man. What's up?" Coyote said with a raised brow as he walked around his barracks.

Hangman took a shaky deep breath. "Coyote... we've been best friends since the naval academy. You've been through my dark moments, my rough moments, and my scary moments. You've been there for everything. So, to continue that streak... would you be the best man at my wedding?" Hangman said as he felt tears threaten to appear.

Coyote was dead silent.

Hangman heard a faint cry. A small smile went across his face. "Is that a yes?"

"Of course it is dumbass! Of course I will be your best man. Oh my gosh... I'm so excited."
Coyote said with joy flowing from his words. Hangman simply listened in glee.

"Trust me, I can tell."

Rooster looked at Phoenixes number. He pressed her name and lifted the phone to his ear as he heard someone walking up behind him.

"You called?" Phoenix said. Rooster turned and looked at her. He chuckled and hung up as he patted the seat next to him.

"I did..." he said as she sat down next to him. He gazed at the flowers.

"So... what's up?" She said. He looked at her and met his little sisters gaze. He simply chuckled and extended his hand to her. She looked at him confused and held his hand back.

"Natasha... you are one of the best things that has ever happened in my life. You became my sister, my confidant, my battle buddy, and my wingman. I trust you to go through hell with me... you have saved my life, advocated for me, and protected me. You've been here for a long time... so, I figured you'd like to be my best man at my wedding this weekend?" He said As he looked at her, meeting her gaze.

Phoenix's eyes widened, as she suddenly hugged him tightly. He stumbled slightly but hugged her back. She nodded as she hugged him. "It would be an honor..."she said.

He smiled softly and hugged her tightly back. "Thank you, Nat..."

Maverick helped Ice up to his room and got him comfortable. Ice sighed tiredly as he looked at Maverick.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner..." Ice said sadly. Maverick looked at his husband and nodded slightly but sighed. "You could've... but, were here now. So, we cannot complain about how this situation could've gone, cause this is where we are now and we must work through it. Okay?" Maverick  said as he took Ices hand into his.

Ice squeezed his hand slightly and nodded. "So wise like usual." Ice said teasingly. Maverick rolled his eyes and chuckled slightly. "Nahh.. I just  know what to say in certain conditions."

Ice chuckled a bit and looked at Maverick. The joy left his eyes as he thought about what was to come in the following weeks.

"I don't want to die Maverick... I have a whole life to live with you still. There are things I still want to see..." Ice's voice filled with sadness and anger.

Maverick simply held his hands and kissed them gently. "I know... but just remember we can do what we can with the little time we have. Which means... you're probably going to have to retire." Maverick said.

Ice sighed and nodded.

"The navy still needs me for this war, Mav. It's not time for me to leave the pacific fleet just yet."

Maverick simply nodded and sighed.

"Understood.."