Future

Soon, Gabby had the group escorted to their rooms, but she requested only Bob would stay with her a little while longer.

He sat on a chair by her bed. She sat in front of him silently.

"I'm sure your father told you I won't last till the end of the month?" She said. Bob just nodded as she sighed with a sad smile.

"My darling boy... he lied to you." She said. Bob looked at her quickly. "What?"

"Im..." she coughed harshly into her arm. She sighed and looked at him. "Im not going to make it to the end of the week..." she said tiredly.

His eyes widened. "I- what... no..." he felt tears pooling in his eyes. "Mom..." he said as he knelt down in front of her and holding her hands.

She nodded as she rubbed his head. "I'm... I'm sorry I won't get to see your wedding, grandkids and promotions my little boy..." she said teary eyed.

He lowered his eyes and started to cry. She let him and rubbed his back as well. "I am glad I got to meet your friends and girlfriend..." she said as she comforted him.

"I-I'm so sorry I stayed away for so long mom... it was awful here. Dad was so horrible and so were my sisters... I'm so sorry.." he said inbetween cries of pain.

"Oh my son... it's okay. I would have done the same." She said with a sigh. She lifted his head. "But... since you're here now, bring me up to speed I want to know everything from college to now." She said with a weak smile.

Bob wiped his eyes and nodded. He owed this to her.

He started from ROTC, all the way to top gun, to almost dying, then to falling in love with Phoenix and then everything else. She listened to every bit of it.

Her eyes lit up as if she was listening to a storybook. It made her smile, frown, gasp, and chuckle. She truly was an attentive listener.

"And now... I'm here visiting you." He said with a faint chuckle. She nodded with a smile.

"You have had adventures.." she said as she looked at her engagement ring on her finger. He nodded as he rubbed his neck.

"What is next on your adventure list ?" She asked. Bob didn't think that part through. He thought about continuing his teaching and that's all that came to mind.

"I'll continue teaching. I'm not sure-"

"Anything to do with Natasha?" She asked him. He froze when he heard her say that. He knew he wanted to propose but he didn't want to rush it. "I mean... I do want to marry her." He said.

She nodded as she looked at him. "Good good... don't lose that girl. She is a gem." She said as she looked down and took off her engagement ring. Bob watched her in confusion as she took his hand and placed the ring into his palm.

He looked at her shocked. "No.. mom. You need to give this to Faith or Sierra..." he said referring to his sisters. "They've been fighting for this since the day they were born." He said said.

"All the more reason why you should have it instead of those two..." she said as she looked at him. "You're actually in love my dear, and I can see that." She said said she raised her hands and rubbed his cheek with her thumb.

"Just in case I'm not there when you propose to her, congratulations my dear, and! Since that's my ring, I'll be right there with you when you propose, so you feel confident. Okay?" She said seriously

Bob smiled sadly and nodded. "Alright." She nodded and smiled softly as she yawned. "Well...it's time for me to get to rest. You go unpack, relax and enjoy a little bit of your time." She kissed his head and started to lay down.

Bob nodded and covered her with a blanket, kissed her head and then stepped out of his mothers room. He stood at the door and looked at the ring she gave him.

He teared up and held it close to his heart as he pulled out his phone. He texted all the guys only.

Bob: guys... I need some support

Maverick: you okay kid?

Hangman; Bob?

Rooster: you okay?

Fanboy: everything alright?

Coyote: did your dad say something?

Payback: what's up?

Bob: just meet me outside by the pool...

Bob sat at the pool staring at the ring. He felt so sad though. Everyone showed up ( except for Phoenix), and saw the ring. "Oh shit..." rooster said.

"My mom, she gave it to me. She isn't going to make it to the end of the month. She isn't even going to make it to the end of the week..." he said tearing up.

"So, so... she gave this to me so she would be there whenever I decide to propose to Phoenix." He said as he wiped his eyes.

All of them gathered around him, and sat next to him. Bob felt himself breaking down. "I hate how awful this visit is. My mother is dying and won't even be here for all of the most important moments, my awful sisters are coming and my abusive father still hates me..." he said as he looked down.

Maverick side hugged Bob and ruffled his hair. "It'll be okay kid..." Bob hugged him back and started to cry even more.

The group started to comfort him the best they could.

"We will always be right by your side man. That will never change." Hangman said.

"No matter what. We got you." Rooster said. "A pilot never abandons their back-seater." Ice said as he patted Bobs back.

Bob felt so much comfort from this group. A comfort that rivaled his mothers. He kept his head leaned against Maverick as he looked at the group.

"Thank you so much guys..." he said as he wiped his tears.

"Thank you."