Three

Maverick was walking back to his car after a long day at work. He had been on calls with the new COMPACFLT, and he was being called in for a meeting (one he did not care for).

He got in and got a call from Rooster. He raised a brow and answered. "Whats up kid." He said as he backed out of his parking spot.

"Nothing much. Um... you do know today is dads birthday right?" He asked as Maverick continued driving.

Maverick groaned as he forgot. "I forgot... don't worry. I'll get him something from the store after my meeting. I'll call him and ask him if he wants anything in particular to eat tonight." He said as he continued to the headquarters.

"Okay. Sounds good. Nicole made him a birthday card. We're going to take it into him." Rooster said with joy in his voice.

Maverick smiled at that. "Nice. Don't mention to your father that you spoke to me, and don't tell him I forgot okay? I want to do this right for him."

" of course. Drive safe." Rooster hung up as Maverick pulled into the headquarters parking. He parked, took a deep breath, and went inside.

The meeting was so dumb. He simply wanted to go through all of his expectations for Top Gun and maverick. Maverick didn't like any of his input...

He knew this man had no experience with aircraft at all. He could tell, and it was absolutely horrifying to him.

"So, would you be able to do that?" The COMPACFLT asked him. Maverick looked at him and cleared his throat.

"Sir... what you're asking me to do is not feasible with this fleet. If I had a whole fleet of F-35s, maybe, but no. These are all F-18s..." Maverick said as politely as he could.

For some reason, the COMPACFLT got hostility from that. "It must've been easy for you to do anything when your husband was your commander." He said annoyed.

Maverick looked up and glared at the man in front of him. "Excuse me?"

"You probably were never denied anything..."

Maverick stood up. "My husband held me to the same standard of any sailor. I was not favored over others, at work, I am his subordinate. I was never and will never be above him." Maverick said as his attitude started to come out.

"You really believe that? Wow. Maybe it's a good thing he ended up in the hospital for long term. You'll finally get up learn what it is like to have a proper superior." The man said bluntly.

Maverick scoffed. "Superior? You clearly have no idea how to lead this damn fleet. You are a pathetic excuse of leader and I can't wait to see you removed from this position in the near future you pathetic excuse of a man and leader." Maverick stormed out and sent back to the car.

He was fuming. He knew he was going to have to apologize, but right he just needed to cool down. He glanced at the clock and suddenly realized how late it was.

"Shit!" He backed out and went to the store. He ran in, grabbed a singular rose like he does every year, grabbed the singularly packed cake slices, and then went to check out.

He sighed. He was so tired of life. He just wanted to be happy with Ice, but he knew that wasn't going to happen any time soon. He just wished he had more time than he did right now.

He officially paid, ran out and got into his car and drove to the hospital off base. That's where ice was moved cause he needed more treatments.

He then got into a bit of traffic, but got out of it and headed towards the hospital. He tapped the wheel as he turned into the parking lot.

He parked, and ran up to Ices room. He knocked and then peeked in. Ice was awake and sitting on the bed reading with a dim light.

Ice looked at him and smiled softly. "Hi..." he said quietly. Maverick walked over to him, hiding his gifts for Ice behind his back.

He revealed them and smiled as he started to sing happy birthday quietly. Ices expression changed to one of bliss.

"Happy birthday my dear Tom, happy birthday.... To... you." Maverick said as he leaned forward and kissed his cheek.

Ice blushed and looked at him. "I thought you forgot." He said with a chuckle.

"How could I forget my handsome husbands birthday?" Maverick said as he sat next to his bed.

"You probably thought I'd be gone by this birthday? Hm?" Ice said as he looked at Maverick. Maverick shook his head and took Ices hand into his.

"I still believe... even with stage 4 cancer that you're gonna make it out. I have so much hope." He said tearing up.

Ice squeezed his hand and sighed. "And even if I do... would you still want to have to take care of me? Me with my physically weak body, possibility of getting cancer again, I won't be doing anything... I'm not worth anything to society." Ice said with a sad smile.

"You're worth the world to me..." Mav said as he looked at Ice with teary eyes.

"You mean everything. I love all of you, and will do anything for you to live simply another day with me, another hour, another minute, another second." Maverick stood up and kissed his cheek and his head.

Ice closed his eyes and teared up.

"I feel like I'm just making this worse for you..." ice said as his voice broke. Maverick shook his head and teared up with him.

"No you're not. You're making this better for every other minute you live." Maverick looked at him and sniffled slightly.

" here.. have some cake. You deserve it. I got you strawberry. Just the way you like it." Maverick said with a tired smile.

Ice took one bite and smiled softly as he started to fall asleep.

"It's good..." he lowered his fork and closed his eyes. "Thank you... for being the greatest husband, and for remembering my birthday."

Maverick lowered his head and nodded.

"You're welcome, my love."