35. Dragonling

Amy and Hermione eagerly worked together. Hermione was making badges while Amy was making posters and flyers for S.P.E.W. Helena and Pansy still thought it was ridiculous but didn't say anything to the girls.

For the next week, the two were often seen walking around. They would approach people, Amy would give them a flyer while Hermione sold her badges. Amy leared that her fearsome reputation was helping. People would eagerly buy a badge if Amy scowled at them.

After a few days, Amy noticed some of her posters were being torn down so she added enchantments to make them harder to remove.

Their friends were the first to buy and wear badges. Although they did so reluctantly. Ron in particular moaned that the whole thing was stupid.

"Our short-term aims," said Hermione, explaining to a group of third years, "are to secure house-elves fair wages and working conditions. Our long-term aims include changing the law about non-wand-use, and trying to get an elf into the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures, because they're shockingly under-represented."

"They weren't joking, the mudblood dykes are now freedom fighters." Malfoy sneered behind them. A group of Slytherins behind them. "What Pansy sees in you two, I'll never know..."

"Malfoy," Amy smiled falsely, "here to support a good cause?" She stepped closer, her face dropping. "Or have you forgotten the manners I'd beaten into you?"

He stepped forward, emboldened by the group behind him.

"Maybe we're here to shut this clown show down. Elves don't want freedom. They like working for us."

"That's because of the systematic exploitation of them for centuries!" Hermione tried to explain.

Malfoy laughed cruelly, "pwease stwop being mwean to the elves." He mocked with a baby voice. Amy reached for her wand but he smirked. "Go ahead, Armati. Father is waiting for a chance to get you sent back to Azkaban."

She glared at him. "One day Malfoy, you will regret ever even looking at me..." She growled.

The Slytherins laughed as the two girls turned and left.

Still, they were undeterred. Whenever they could they dedicated some time to spreading their message.

Although they sold a lot of badges, the didn't see many people wearing them.

They were somewhat disheartened when they heard a soft voice behind them. "Excuse me, I hoped you could tell me more?" Luna Lovegood said airily.

Hermione eagerly explained her rehearsed speach on their goals and their plans.

"I like the elves." Luna said.

"We do too." Amy smiled.

"I want to help." Luna smiled.

Hermione and Amy were ecstatic. So far the most they'd achieved was some polite agreement. Now they had someone else who believed in their cause.

Unfortunately, having Luna on their side didn't necessarily help with the opinions of other students. It became harder to sell badges but they didn't care. Luna began to join them in their planning.

Eventually, they invited Luna back to the tower. Unlike the other common rooms that needed passwords, the door to theirs would only open to someone with their mark. They opened the door and let Luna in. She looked around with a soft blank expression that they'd gotten used to.

"Your home is very nice." She said simply, smiling.

"Thanks," Amy smiled, "come on, we'll go to the library."