44. Preparing for the Ball

Towards the end of their next Transfiguration lesson, after McGonagall had scolded Harry and Ron for having a fake sword fight, she made an announcement.

"The Yule Ball is approaching – a traditional part of the Triwizard Tournament and an opportunity for us to socialise with our foreign guests. Now, the ball will be open only to fourth-years and above – although you may invite a younger student if you wish –"

Lavender and Parvati giggled. Amy placed her hands on Hermione and Pansy's knees who were sitting on either side of her and winked at Helena. They'd successfully petitioned to be in the same classes now, despite officially being in three different houses. They were effectively their own house anyway.

"Dress robes will be worn," Professor McGonagall continued, "and the ball will start at eight o'clock on Christmas Day, finishing at midnight, in the Great Hall. Now then –"

Professor McGonagall stared deliberately around the class. Focusing on the girls.

"The Yule Ball is of course a chance for us all to – er – let our hair down," she said, in a disapproving voice. "Not that some of us need help with that..." She said pointedly.

Amy smiled at her with a wink.

"But that does NOT mean," Professor McGonagall went on, "that we will be relaxing the standards of behaviour we expect from Hogwarts students. I will be most seriously displeased if a Gryffindor student embarrasses the school in any way."

When the bell rang, McGonagall called out "Potter, Armati – a word, if you please."

They approached her desk, it was presumably about the tournament.

"Potter, Armati, the champions and their partners –"

"What partners?" said Harry.

Professor McGonagall looked suspiciously at him, as though she thought he was trying to be funny.

"Your partners for the Yule Ball, Potter," she said coldly. "Your dance partners."

Harry's insides seemed to curl up and shrivel. "Dance partners?"

He felt himself going red. "I don't dance," he said quickly.

"Oh, yes, you do," said Professor McGonagall irritably. "That's what I'm telling you. Traditionally, the champions and their partners open the ball."

"So, I'm expected to only have one?" Amy asked horrified.

"You are expected to, though it's not like that's stopped you in the past..." She sighed.

"I'm not dancing," Harry blurted.

"It is traditional," said Professor McGonagall firmly. "You are a Hogwarts champion, and you will do what is expected of you as a representative of the school. So make sure you get yourself a partner, Potter. Amy..." She sighed. "Please consider picking only one..."

Amy just gave a smirk, wordlessly answering the request. She had every intention of taking each of her girlfriends.

The girls found it hilarious to watch Ron and Harry struggle to find dates. They'd offer to help but most of the school hated them.

"Why don't you go together?" Amy suggested. "It's not like same sex couples are banned. I'm taking the girls and Dean and Seamus are going together."

Ron scrunched his face in disgust, Harry recoiled at the suggestion.

"I can't take him, he's my best mate. Besides, I'm not like you all..." Ron blubbered out.

Amy laughed. "You don't have to be gay to take your friend to a dance. Girls do it all the time."