40. First Task

The Interview featured on the front page of the next days paper. It was exactly as she expected. She had reached a new level of notoriety. She was met by the other students with look of terror or distain. Interestingly, a few muggleborn students gave her slight smiles and nods when she passed.

She didn't care. Anyone who's opinion she cared about knew the truth. If anything, she enjoyed being feared. It came with certain privillages. Crowds would part to let her through. People would keep their judgmental comments to themselves. She would get peace and quiet in the library.

That same day the Bloody Baron approached her.

He kneeled, "Mistress."

"What is it Baron?" She asked.

"I have found out what your task will be-"

"Apapap-" She interrupted. "Tell Harry, I don't want to know. I want it to be a surprise."

"But mistress..."

"Go." She dismissed and the ghost obliged with a bow.

Herpo's amulet spoke to her, "You are a fool to turn down key information."

"Please, Herpo. You must know that the excitement of facing the unknown makes life exciting for people of our talents. I could find out, prepare thoroughly and dominate the trial and be bored the whole time, or... I could face it blind and enjoy a real challenge."

"Excitement does not suit an immortals life..."

"Oh, please... I'm sure you've loved waiting in the dark for millenia..."

"A fair point... I am confident in your abilities."

"Me too."

*

In the days leading up to the task, Harry seemed keen to visit as much as possible. He enjoyed taking care of Sethi, he'd spend hours watching the dragon closely. Maybe the nerves of the task were getting to him and he just needed a distraction.

Luna joined Amy when Harry took over playing with the Dragon.

"Good luck tomorrow. I'll be chearing for you." Luna said with a smile.

"Thanks, Luna. I'm excited to be honest."

She smiled and nodded knowingly, "You do seem to like challenging yourself."

Amy smiled at the girl, she was almost too good for the world. "Have the other girls been giving you any more trouble?"

She shook her head. "Ever since you spoke to them, I haven't lost any of my things."

"Good. Anyone who wants to hurt you is evil." Amy said, pulling the girl into a hug.

"Thank you Amy." Luna said quietly into the hug. "You and Hermione were the first people to want to spend time with me. Helena did too but she always used to be too shy. I quite like having friends."

"We all love you Luna. Even Pansy. Even if she might not show it..."

"I know she does. I catch her smiling at me and Sethi sometimes..." She giggled lightly.

*

On the morning of the task, the girls were stirred from their naked cuddling on the bed by knocking on their tower door.

Amy groaned, "That'll be for me. I'll see you all down there." She said with a kiss to each. They all wished good luck as she did.

Snape was at the door when she opened. "Amy, good luck today." He said. "I'm here to escort you down to the champion's tent."