2. eight

"sleep is death enjoyed." - christian friedrich hebbel

Delilah stood at the front of the hall for the talk with the Ozona kids with Derek and JJ, hands in her pockets as she leaned against the stage.

"It's something we call the buddy system. That means you always go everywhere with a friend," JJ said.

"That's right, because bad men and women are more likely to talk to us only when we're by ourselves," Derek said.

"We don't know what these guys look like yet. Might be someone you know," Delilah said.

"Yes sweetheart, you got a question?" Derek looked at a little girl with her hand up.

"There was this little girl once on the news, who just got grabbed. Right in front of her house. Could that happen to us?" the little girl said.

"Nothing's gonna happen to any of you, as long as you remember this buddy system, okay?" Derek said calmly.

The kids all nodded.

Delilah leaned against a desk in the police department, watching Spencer and Derek go over the geographical profile.

"Just wait for me up front. No wandering," the guidance counsellor pulled his ginger son into the bullpen.

"Okay, dad!" the kid huffed, yanking his arm free and stomping off.

Delilah raised her eyebrows as Gideon walked in.

"It's too scary to let him out of your sight!" the guidance counsellor said to Gideon.

"I know," Gideon said. "Can I have your attention, please? Good afternoon. We want to make something clear. Due to the velocity of change, we predict this offender could try to strike again anytime His confidence builds with every attack," he said.

The police officers in the room nodded, listening to the profile.

"Look for someone physically fit, shy. Kind disposition, someone you may trust with your own child. Because the killer targets kids, he may be small himself. I know we keep referring to this Unsub as he, do not rule out a woman," Derek said.

"Excuse me!" a voice said.

"Chief! You're gonna want to hear this," an officer pulled a pregnant woman and a little boy over gently.

"My son Matthew never came home today," the pregnant woman said quietly.

"Here we go," Derek muttered.

"Where was he last seen?" Gideon asked.

"His teacher saw him in the parking lot after school," the mom said.

"Search team," the sheriff said.

Officers started moving, Delilah walking to the geographical profile to help Derek and Spencer.

"Okay, Reid. School is on Willow road," Derek said.

"The boy was abducted. This area would be the most secluded nearby," Spencer said, circling an area with his finger.

"So, Jones could route his guys to the gas station, we could cover territories, more ground, find the kid faster," Delilah said.

"Yeah," Derek said. "Let's get some backup on Willow road," he said.