2. eighteen

"to love someone is firstly to confess: i'm prepared to be devastated by you." - billy-ray belcourt

Delilah stepped out of the interrogation room a few minutes later, pulling the door closed behind her. She made sure the door wasn't fully closed, walking down the empty hallway and around the corner to where the Gideon and Gordinski were talking with Hotch.

"I'm not saying it's Mr. Buford. There's a huge amount of investigation left to be done," Gideon told them.

"For 15 years, he hasn't been the slightest bit suspicious," Gordinski said.

"Morgan won't even talk about Buford," Hotch said.

"He won't?" Gideon said.

"Buford should be that kid's hero," Gordinski scoffed.

Delilah's jaw clenched, but she stayed silent, keeping her eyes on Gordinski.

"Something happened," Hotch said.

"You talking about Carl Buford?" Emily walked in with Dennison behind her.

"Yes," Hotch said.

"We just left his office," Emily said.

"Hey!" Dennison poked his head around the corner of the interrogation room.

Delilah's heart skipped a beat. This was happening, then.

"What, did we turn him loose?" Dennison said loudly.

Gordinski's jaw clenched and he stormed off towards the interrogation room to see for himself. Delilah watched him disappear, ignoring Hotch's eyes on her as she waited.

Gordinski poked back around the corner, face red with fury.

"You let him escape," he said.

Delilah couldn't say he was a terrible detective. He'd figured that one out, at least.

The precinct seemed to erupt in minor chaos, the officers moving to make phone calls and arrange patrols.

"You're standing there trying to convince me that a local hero is my killer while you let my suspect dance our the back door. I'm gonna charge all of your asses," Gordinski snapped at Hotch, Gideon and Delilah, stomping off.

Hotch didn't have time to interrogate Delilah about why she would let Derek go. JJ was hurrying over to them, a glare on her face.

"They're beyond reason. We have to find him first," JJ said.

"Any ideas?" Hotch asked the group, though his eyes moved to Delilah.

"His mother said that Buford practically raised him after his father died, he mentored him, took him on trips, spent all of his time with him. Basically became a surrogate father," Emily said.

Hotch's eyes stayed on Delilah. She nodded once. Hotch nodded, looking at Gideon. Gideon nodded, Hotch turning to Gordinski.

"Detective, we may know where he's heading," Hotch called.

Gordinski looked over, beckoning them to join him.

"Wait here," Hotch told Emily, JJ and Spencer, marching off with Gideon and Delilah. "You have a plan?" Hotch said.

"I've got a plan. It'll work out. Just need to get him to listen to me," Delilah said.

"You didn't tell us," Gideon said.