2. thirty two

AN:

TW:
• discussion of drug addiction
• mentions of tobias hankel
• mentions of overdoses and death
i think that's it but if i've missed any then let me know so i can add them please <3

"here is a eulogy for all parts in us that did not make it out alive. here is the shrine we made from our own traumas." - koleka putuma

Delilah followed Gideon, JJ, Emily and Will into the bar in the quarter that used to be called Jones, eyes spotting the man sitting at the table waiting for them with a drink in his hand. Delilah crossed her arms over her chest as they came to stand in front of him.

"Smitty. How are you?" Will asked, holding his hand out.

Smitty made no move to shake.

"I hope you got a good reason dredging this crap up," Smitty said.

"Well, I was hoping you might remember being called here with my daddy nine years ago," Will said.

"Is that a joke?" Smitty said.

"No," Will said.

"My name's Jason Gideon. We're from the FBI. We're investigating the series of murders in the french quarter," Gideon said.

"What's that got to do with me?" Smitty asked.

"We need you to tell us what happened the night you and detective Lamontagne answered the call in this bar," Emily said.

Smitty stayed silent, but the look that flashed across his face was weird.

"Am I missing something?" Will asked.

"You really don't know, do you?" Smitty scoffed. "After that night, your daddy tried to bring me up on sanctions."

"Why?" Will asked.

"It was mardi gras. Some girl claimed she was raped. In this bar. I wasn't buying it," Smitty shook his head.

"What did she say happened to her?" JJ said lowly.

"Brass backed me up. They ended up transferring your daddy out to shut him up," Smitty said.

"Not what happened to you, Smitty. Shockingly, this is not about you," Delilah said.

"What happened here?" Emily asked.

"It almost cost me my career," Smitty scoffed.

"Okay, are you dumb, or-" Delilah started.

"Do you mind telling us what happened?" Gideon said, holding his hand up.

Delilah fell silent, rolling her eyes.

"My best recollection, she said she was sitting at the bar with two friends," Smitty said, standing up and moving across the floor. "One of the boys asked her if she wanted to play some pool. Witnesses claim she was up for anything."

"She followed him up here?" Emily nodded at the stairs.

"His friend not far behind. She knew he was there. That girl was a tease. She was looking for a good time. Anyway, a couple of guys were going along with that," Smitty said.

"Did she yell for help?" JJ asked.

"She said she did. But not a single person claimed that they heard her," Smitty said.