2. thirty three

"which are more full of fate: the stars, or those sad eyes?" - lionel johnson

"Where are we going?" Spencer asked.

Delilah glanced at him from the driver's seat of her car, then looked back at the roads of Virginia. They'd flown home earlier that morning and now Delilah had taken Spencer from the BAU so they could get to the bottom of the new information Delilah knew.

"My apartment," Delilah said.

"Only JJ's been to your apartment," Spencer blinked.

"Yeah, well, don't get used to it," Delilah sighed, pulling into the parking lot. "I'm going to have to move if anyone else knows where I live."

"Why did you bring me here, then?" Spencer asked, getting out of the car.

"Figured this would be easier for us if I'm not freaking out," Delilah said honestly. "And my apartment is one of the places where I feel safe to be emotional, which this probably will be. And I have a lot of coffee and blankets, which is great for the emotional shit."

"Is Liv there?" Spencer asked, following her across the parking lot.

"She's in work. She'll be home about six, if there's no traumas. You can stay for dinner, if you feel up to it," Delilah said.

"Does she know?" Spencer said.

"I didn't tell her anything. She was going into surgery when I text her to tell her we were on the jet to come home, so," Delilah said.

She held the door open for Spencer, waving at Steve the doorman.

"Hello, Delilah," Steve smiled.

"Hey, Steve. This is my friend, Spencer. Spence, this is Steve," Delilah said.

"It's nice to meet you, Spencer," Steve smiled.

"You, too, Steve," Spencer said.

"He's cool to come up whenever he visits," Delilah said, walking over to the elevator.

"I'll add him to the list," Steve said.

"List?" Spencer asked, hurrying onto the elevator with Delilah.

"I've got a lot of enemies in this world, Spencer. Precautions are necessary," Delilah said, pressing the button for the thirteenth floor.

"Thirteen. That's unlucky," Spencer mumbled.

"I'm in apartment thirteen, too," Delilah said.

"Two negatives make a positive," Spencer said.

"Not in my experience," Delilah said.

They got off the elevator and walked down the hallway, Delilah stopping outside her door. She took a deep breath, turning to look at Spencer.

"You're going to see a familiar face in some of the photos I have. I would appreciate it if you didn't tell the team that their nepotism comments hit home for a reason," Delilah said.

She unlocked the door and turned off the alarm, motioning for Spencer to come in. He stepped into the apartment, eyes immediately finding the photos near the TV.

"I'll get coffee started. Look around," Delilah said, closing the door behind him and walking to the kitchen.

She turned the coffee pot on, throwing her phone on the side with her bag and kicking her shoes down the hallway towards her room. She made two cups and walked back into the living room, setting the cups on the coffee table and moving to stand beside Spencer.