1. four

"god should have made girls lethal when he made monsters of men." - elizabeth hewer

Spencer and Delilah hurried over to Hotch in the San Diego station a few hours later, printed copies of the ballad in their hands.

"It looks like what he's written at the scenes are most of the first three verses of the same ballad," Spencer said.

"Most of?" Hotch asked.

"It's only one part of the conversation. There's no betwixt," Spencer said excitedly.

"Death speaks, but the lady never answers," Delilah said, noticing the confused look Hotch and Elle shared.

"Maybe he feels like their bodies are answer enough," Elle said.

"Very nice," Hotch nodded, walking away with Elle.

Delilah blinked.

"I'm assuming we're still working on the verses, then," she turned to Spencer.

"Guess so. Come on," Spencer said, leading her back over to the whiteboard they had claimed for their work.

Delilah followed Spencer over to Gideon and Derek a few hours later after they'd returned from the latest crime scene. Delilah was cradling a cup of coffee in her hands, her fourth of the day.

"The verses," Spencer said.

"Found something?" Gideon said.

"Not an answer, a question. We found the full text. He's pretty much following it to a t, at least the death side of the conversation," Spencer said.

"But?" Gideon said.

"Why didn't he leave them at the first 3 murders? I mean, this ballad is 10 verses long just on the death side. He's got plenty to work with," Spencer said.

"But if it's not part of his signature, it isn't something that he has to do for an emotional reason, then, I mean, why start?" Delilah said.

"JJ, find out when the press ran the first story on this unsub," Gideon said. JJ looked over from where she was sat at a desk.

"When?" she said.

"After which victim," Gideon said.

"Yeah, you got it," JJ nodded, picking up the phone and putting it to her ear.

"What're you thinking?" Derek said.

"He wasn't getting enough attention," Gideon said.

"The police department sometimes don't even realize they're looking at a pattern," Spencer said.

"Yeah, until somebody tells 'em," Derek added.

"The first story ran the morning after the fourth victim was found," JJ said.

"The increased patrols didn't begin until after the fourth victim, either," Derek said.

"Yeah, the police didn't realize what was happening. He writes his verse, and-" Gideon said.

"And everyone knows that he was there," Delilah finished, sipping her coffee. "So, I think it's safe to assume that the recognition of his actions is one of his main motives. He's seeking attention and validation to feel powerful, considering he likely feels so out of control in his daily life," she said.