1. six

"i'm not much, but i'm all i have." - philip. k. dick

"This initial profile is not ready to be given to the media. Releasing this profile prematurely can get people killed," JJ announced to the room full of the Des Plaines police officers and detectives on the LDSK case.

"We're looking for a 30 to 40-year-old male veteran, driving a car large enough to shoot from, but not so large it was noticed. Like the beltway shooter, it's probably a sedan, customized to conceal the shooter, his weapon, and the sound of his shot. The unsub suffers from both narcissistic and paranoid personality disorders. He works out obsessively and is never without a weapon. He's completely self-centered and cannot empathize with others," Hotch said.

He stepped forward and sighed before continuing.

"Incapable of admitting fault, he blames his shortcomings on those around him. He has no friends, and his career history has been marked by frequent job changes. He's drawn to high-stakes jobs by a need to prove his superiority to a world he perceives has undervalued him, and these shootings are the ultimate expression of that need. We believe he changes jurisdictions intentionally and strikes during the first/second shift change, indicating and intimate knowledge of law enforcement," Hotch said.

"You're saying he's one of us," an officer scoffed.

"We're saying he once was or is now a police officer," Hotch said.

"Is he driving a white van, too?" another officer said. The officers started laughing and Delilah rolled her eyes.

"Enough. That'll be all for now. We can talk in my office," the captain said, standing up.

"Thank you," Hotch nodded at everyone, following the captain down the hallway with JJ behind him.

Delilah rubbed her face tiredly as she stared out of the window of the SUV she, Hotch and Spencer were in to go back to the station.

They'd had a suspect, discovering him as they reenacted one of the shootings to get a better read on the unsub's techniques and skills. But their real unsub had been watching and had killed their suspect, effectively putting a dent in any progress they made as they tried to figure out how their unsub knew they'd be at the park.

"Delilah?" Spencer said.

"Yeah?" Delilah looked at Spencer sat in the back seat.

"Can I ask you something?" he said.

"Sure," Delilah said.

"How long did it take you to master a gun?" Spencer said.

"I grew up in a hunting town and a hunting family. I could shoot before the academy. It took about a year for me to learn, though," Delilah said, looking back out of the window.

"How old were you the first time you had a gun?" Spencer said.

"Seven?" Delilah frowned. "Not sure."

"That's not useful," Spencer muttered. "For me, I mean."

"You failed your qualification, huh?" Delilah said.

"Yeah," Spencer said quietly.

"Well, you don't need a gun to be a profiler. You can kill people without guns, as Gideon would say," Delilah said.