2. six

"i began to forget myself in the middle of sentences." - margaret atwood

"So, are we gonna talk about why JJ and you left the same bedroom this morning?" Hotch said quietly to Delilah as they got set up in the precinct for the profile delivery.

"She was freaked out and didn't want to sleep on her own. I said she could stay with me. I have more guns than her, so, smart choice, in my opinion," Delilah said.

"So, you slept in separate beds," Hotch said.

"How's your marriage?" Delilah said.

"Ouch. That was a low blow," Hotch winced, rubbing his chest.

"Sorry. That was really rude. I'm sorry," Delilah said, shaking her head as she looked at him. "You know we slept in the same bed, the same way you know she sleeps at my place twice a week minimum because Liv told Haley, who told you, and now you're teasing me about it," Delilah said.

"I'm just making sure you're not giving yourself more ammo to swap departments. You told me to look for openings, then turned down Katie's offer of a job back in Crimes Against Children. I'm not sure where we're at, if there's... something going on with you and JJ, or if you've gotten over her when you did that therapy," Hotch said quietly.

"I'm... I'm not gonna move departments because she's just never going to find out. And I feel like a creep being this close to her when I have feelings for her, but every time I try and get out of seeing her, she's there anyway. At some point, I have to just let her be my best friend and hate myself in silence," Delilah sighed.

"So, there's no developments in the drunken conversations she doesn't remember?" Hotch said.

"She hasn't brought it up. Also hasn't told me she loves me again. I'm not sure if she remembers and is just embarrassed I didn't say it back, or if she genuinely doesn't remember it. She was drunk. I was drunk. Too drunk. It was messy. Everything is messy. I'm messy," Delilah said.

"You're definitely spiralling," Hotch said. "And that is messy, but that's the nature of humanity."

"Yeah. Ugh, it's whatever. I'm going to get fifty cats and die alone and then be eaten by said cats. I'm okay with that. Can we get back to the case?" Delilah said.

"I'm gonna go ahead and order a psych eval-" Hotch started.

"Don't you dare, Hotpocket," Delilah said.

"Hotpocket?" Hotch muttered.

He didn't get a chance to continue. Officers started filing in for the briefing. Hotch grabbed the file, turning to the officers.

"Good morning. Thanks for coming in a little early," he said.

"Lousy coffee's up," Derek called.

"We just want you to hear what the FBI has gathered and get you on the streets," the lead detective told the officers.

"So, the guy we're looking for is a classic power reassurance rapist," Hotch said.

"This differs from a power assertive rapist who attempts to humiliate and traumatize his victims, as well as the anger retaliatory rapist and the sexual sadist, whose attacks are also random and excessively brutal," Spencer said.

"The reason that's important for you to know - he's the only kind of rapist who targets a specific victim," Hotch said.

"He fantasizes that he's in a relationship with these women," Derek said.