Rescue Mission

"Are you going to take the cross too?" Gabriel asked.

After Daryl had introduced Noah, and explained about Grady Memorial hospital, the group devised a plan to protect the church whilst the others went into Atlanta to rescue Beth and Carol.

"What's the problem, I thought God was all around us?" Natalia asked, whilst her and Daryl planted the orchestra pipes around the stairs. "You don't need silly little symbols."

"The cross represents-"

"Talking to the wrong person, buddy." She cut him off. "My faith in God died a very, very long time ago, before the dead started walking around."

He bowed his head, walking away from the pair.

Daryl and Natalia were left alone.

"I'm glad you're back." Natalia muttered, hoping he hadn't actually heard her, but knew she was busted when he looked up at the woman, meeting her eyes. "Sully was missing you a bit, I think. But I wish Carol and Beth were here as well."

He made a gruff noise in agreement.

"We're gonna get them both back, we will, no matter what, we're not losing anybody else." She continued.

Daryl had been caught up about what he had missed whilst he was gone, Bob and the attack.

"I am glad though, that she wasn't there during- when we met... if anything happened to her because I... " Her voice broke off, but he knew where she was heading with that conversation, feeling a heavy weight drop in his stomach.

"We'll get them back." He repeated, nodding at her in some sort of understanding.

Michonne, Carl, Gabriel, Judith and Sully were staying at the church.

The rescue group were bringing Noah along, though Natalia had a bad feeling about him going with, she didn't voice it though, Rick had made the decision for a reason.

Daryl, Natalia and Rick were sat in the cab of the truck Daryl and Noah drove back from the city, Tyreese and Sasha were watching the teenager in the back.

"I've never been in the city after it fell." Natalia sighed, kicking her legs up onto the dash.

"Get your feet down." Rick pushed her legs off, as he drove. "Never?"

"Nope, stayed far from it, heard they were bombing the place, knew nothing good would come out of it, so steered clear." Though she side eyed him.

"We've been in there a few times." Rick told her. "It's dangerous, as long as you stay high and know what you're doing, you'll be fine."

"First time I met Rick, we went into the city cause he handcuffed Merle to a roof." Daryl told her.

Natalia looked towards her friend, stifling a laugh of shock at the revelation.

"Did he deserve it?" She asked.

Rick shook his head around, leaning towards a nod.

"He had to cut his own hand off."

"And you slapped that kid around the face with it."

Natalia looked between the pair as if it were a tennis match.

"Okay, why has neither of you ever told me anything about any of this, that is the funniest and grossest thing I've ever heard."

"They kidnapped Glenn, deserved it..."

"They what? Who?" Natalia asked.

"It was a group surviving in the city, called the Vato's and they were our friends."