Between a Rock And a Hard Place

Daryl's and Evie's outing had gone well, as they brought back a deer and a string of Squirrels and rabbits, Evie was proud of herself for not even crying when Daryl taught her how to hunt the small animals down, she even managed to shoot three of such, which she made sure to tell everyone who dug into the stews.

With the success, they made it a more common thing, as she got better with it, as well as fighting walkers, she seemed to really get the hang of it.

Then, Natalia decided to join them, leaving the twins in the care of their friends.

When they were confident in both twin's capability to walk steadily, a year and a half since Natalia brought them home, the five of them left the gates, Evie had finally droned on enough, about seeing Henry again, he had managed to do the same to Carol and Ezekiel, who was fine with it from the start, but accepted his wife's resistance.

Daryl and Natalia were allowing Evie to stay at the Kingdom for a couple of weeks, and they were bringing the twins with them, for their first outing.

Michonne didn't like the sound of it, but Natalia made sure to remind her that she might be on the council of Alexandria, but she wasn't her boss, and that they were capable to take care of their kids outside of Alexandria, and also a trade with the Kingdom would do them some good.

When they had got to the Kingdom, at nightfall, the twins were bombarded with lots of new faces that wanted to meet them, they had even been giving the chance to meet some new people, such as Jerry and Nabila's kids.

Daryl encouraged Evie to sneak off with Henry as he and Natalia were dealing with the attention, as well.

"I wanted to apologise, to the both of you." Carol started, when all the kids were in bed.

Her apology had sounded quite forced, but she had Natalia's attention. 

"Mhm." She hummed, facing the woman, tapping the arm of her chair.

"Nat." Daryl warned, rubbing the bridge of his nose, at her standoffishness.

Ezekiel patted Carol's back, trying to keep her sweet.

"The things I said, a long time ago, I didn't have any right to say it, and I'm sorry, Daryl... and Natalia, I'm also sorry for upsetting the girls, that day."

"That's correct." She goaded.

"Thanks, Carol." Daryl spoke up. "We both 'ppreciate that, but it's alright."

When the twins were two, they decided to go hunting, Daryl was excited to teach them about tracking, as well, pass on all the skills he had, considering he had said that the girls had their moms looks, he wanted them to have something he was good at.

It was fun, and there weren't much walkers around, throughout their trips, Daryl and Natalia had been "walker hunting." The best they could, to preserve it for the kids, but also as a safety measure.

The girls were listening intently to Daryl, copying and picking up everything he was doing, they seemed to actually be interested, which was a good sign, they were Dixons after all.

That was until the rain started, it was light at first as they laughed, for a moment, it reminded Natalia of that time on the road, with the tornado, after Beth and Tyreese, when Glenn, Abraham, Sasha, Rick, Carl and Noah were still around.

But then, just like that day, it got heavier, a storm was coming.

Dog barked loudly as the toddlers cried, huddling around Daryl as they tried to get out of it.

"Come on, we're not far." Natalia told him, heading in a familiar direction, grabbing Bambi as he picked up Daisy, Evie kept her eye on Dog as they ran through the bad weather.