Make Up, Don't Break Up

Natalia had hid away in the nursey for the rest of the day, it had been set up a couple of months ago, Rosita had taken over helping, Aaron helped where he could, but he was still managing taking care of Gracie as well as the loss of his arm.

She had pulled out all their clothes, deciding to reorganise it by colour, for each twin, to be put away in their separate drawers

This was probably her fifth time doing this, but she couldn't help it, when Natalia was bored with herself, had quiet time, or couldn't sleep, she found herself in here doing random chores, anything for a distraction, reminding herself that the twins were alive, and would be here any day, she'd managed to keep them alive, unlike the same nightmare that resurfaced every time she went to sleep, by herself.

The reason Natalia had become so attached to sleeping beside Daryl, when they were friends, was because she found that he had stopped her bad dreams, he didn't make her afraid, even in her sleep.

They were back in his absence and with the pregnancy, they had become even more vivid, even more real, like she was back in that house, back with them, killing them on repeat, killing her family over and over, like a horror version of groundhog day.

She paused her humming of eyes without a face, when she heard the front door open, it must be Evie coming home for bed, it was dark out.

No other sounds came except for the door, which was unusual, because even though Evie claimed to no longer be a child, because she had responsibilities and she was nine, now, she still bounded up the stairs rather loudly, every single time.

"Eves?" Natalia called.

She looked over her shoulder at the slightly open door, Daryl was stood there, leaning against the doorframe.

"Jude asked if they could have a sleepover, said it was fine, even though she didn't wanna leave you." He told her. "Can go get her if my word ain't good enough."

He was still pissed.

"No, it's fine." She turned back around, finishing up her task.

Daryl took a slow step into the room, he'd barely come in here, just let Natalia get on with it, considering she berated him the last time he put something in the wrong place.

"Looks nice." He commented, looking at the small frame on a shelf, containing a picture of Carl, Natalia, Judith and Sully, which was took on the porch steps of the Grimes house, Rick had forced them into smiling for a "Family photo" as he claimed that sometimes Natalia felt like his own kid.

"Mhm." She hummed, putting all her focus into the clothes, so far she'd been given outfits all the way up until they were six, when she shared the gender, the communities were quick to pass over hand me downs so she'd never have to worry about finding clothes to fit them, the collection seemed to grow after every drop off trade.

"Nat." He walked further into the room.

"Hm?"

"Bought the Mac n Cheese." He said, after a moment of thought.

She looked up at him, seeing the contents in a tub that looked like it could feed a family of four.

He watched her debate whether to accept it or not, but then finally caved, taking the tub and yanking the lid off, he handed her a fork before she dove in with her hands.

"'Anks" She murmured between a mouthful of cheesy pasta, topped with bacon bites, just how she liked it.

He sat down beside her, bringing his knees to his chest as he looked at the piles of clothes.