Making Friends

The time had come when the girls could eat on their own, they were ten months old, twelve weeks since Carols visit, and her words hung over the household, it got Natalia thinking about someone else, as well. 

Natalia woke up early one frosty morning, the rest of the house was asleep, including Daryl.

She slowly and silently got out of the bed, making sure her missing presence wouldn't wake him up.

Natalia dressed up warm, her eyes stayed on the sleeping body, he was a light sleeper, she only had one shot.

Daryl, haven't done a runner just yet, had to take care of something, will be back later, take care of my girls. You know why I didn't tell you, don't bother, you wouldn't of even let me leave the walls if I asked , you'll forgive me, it's why I'm coming back when it's dark ;), love Nat. She scribbled on a note, leaving it on her pillow. 

She then left the bedroom, sneaking into Evie's.

"Mom?" Evie whispered, rolling over and half opening her eyes.

"Hey, sweet girl." Natalia smiled at her, brushing her hair out of her sleepy face. "I'm gonna pop out for a lil bit, I'm gonna be back after dinner, wanted to say bye before I went."

"Where are you going?" She rubbed her eyes. "I'll go with you."

"No, it's okay, I just gotta go see an old friend, it's still cold out, don't wanna get you sick before your tenth birthday, 'Sides, need ya to help out Dad today, gonna be the first time he's gotta look after the girls on his own, and he don't know yet."

"And he's gonna need all the help he can get."

"Yeah, he does." Natalia laughed. "Love you, kid." She kissed her head.

"Love you, Mom." She kissed her head back.

"Maybe visit Aaron, see what he's up to today."

"Yeah, good idea." Evie nodded.

"Alright, go back to bed." She tucked the girl in extra tight, before leaving her room, going in the last one.

Daisy and Bambi were already stood up, clinging onto the bars of the crib as they bounced on the mattress, they'd have to get them a bigger, proper bed in the next few months.

"Mama." Daisy cooed.

"Mama, Mama." Bambi repeated, sucking on her finger. 

"Hi, babies." Natalia beamed, keeping her voice low as she rushed towards the crib, wrapping her arms around her daughters. "Hi, hey."

"Hi Mama." Daisy copied, waving her hand. 

"Hi." Bambi babbled.

"Hey." The cuteness overload was enough to make her want to stay home instead, her nor Daryl had left the twins alone since the day they were born, the furthest apart was a few hours from their bedrooms. "Mommy's gotta go out, but I'll be back soon, can you say bye-bye? Bye-bye."

"Bye-bye, Momma." Bambi rubbed her face as she placed her tiny hand on Natalia's cheek.

"Yeah? Daisy-Waisy, bye-bye?" Natalia asked, stroking Bambi's curls.

"Bye Momma." Daisy added, laying her head on Natalia, her arms around her. 

"I love you girls, so, so much." She weeped, smiling as she hugged them. "Be good for Daddy and Evie. Can I have a kiss?"

Both girls took in turn to kiss their mom before she eventually had to leave.

"Where are you heading off to?"