All For Nothing

Rick had given word the next day, that the Saviours were leaving, It was gonna take even longer for the bridge to be done.

The reason was because Justin had been killed during his walk back to the Sanctuary, and then Arat had gone missing, and the groups were sent out to look for her before the Saviours could catch word of it.

Later in the night, the previous day, the radio had distracted her from her decorating.

"Hello?" She said into it.

"Nat." Daryl called through. "It's me, an' Maggie."

"How're you doing?" Maggie's voice came through.

"Just sorting out the nursery, is there a reason for a late night call, if so uh, I do have to ask why Maggie's here, no offence."

"It's about Arat." Daryl said.

"What?" The light tone in her voice dropped.

"She's been taken care of, we wanted you to know, sorry that it wasn't you who got to go through with it." Maggie's voice crackled.

"How?"

"Oceanside, they were the ones who were kidnapping the others, revenge for the men they lost, Simon had all of 'em over the age of ten executed, Cyndi ended her." Daryl explained.

"Good, was about damn time." Natalia said, her voice blunt as she rubbed at her stomach, sat in the room of the dog that should still be in there.

"Nat, I'm going through with it tomorrow, Daryl's gonna keep Rick occupied here, are you still down to end him?" Maggie asked her.

"What do you need me to do?"

"Make sure Michonne doesn't stop me."

"Got it, you better succeed Maggie." Natalia told her.

"I will, for you, Abraham, Sasha, and Glenn, and everyone else who was put through hell because of him, and so the twins can be born in a world where he isn't."

"You just earned yourself a middle name spot."

"I appreciate that. "Maggie laughed. "Thank you, for your help, the both of you." She held the button down as she talked to Daryl as well.

"No, Mags, this is all up to you, this is your show." Natalia told her, Daryl agreed. "Alright, I gotta get this done before I can head to bed, got a big day tomorrow."

"Alrigh' I love ya." Daryl's voice came through the radio.

"I love you, too." She replied. "Be safe."

She put the radio down, going back to organising the baby clothes, all in neutral colours, there was a lot of double, but in opposite colours, mostly the same green and blue as the bunnies Rick had gifted.

It seemed that the runners had started picking up stuff for her and Daryl, a lot of the communities looked up to the pair, and when the news spread, they were happy to do anything to help out, like gathering supplies or gifting second hand things down.

When she returned from the camp, Rick had to help her carry up the large piles of boxes to the nursery before she could call it a day, choosing to sort through it the next day, which she had done, before and after her lunch with Michonne.

"What was that about?" Natalia asked, entering the little garden after Nora had just left it.

"Negan, he's refusing to eat." Michonne sighed, picking up Judith's toys. "I'm gonna go have to deal with it."

"I will." Natalia offered, she had to keep Michonne far away and occupied.

"Are you sure?" Michonne raised a brow, checking her up and down. "You haven't seen him since the tree."