Better Man

Settling into the Commonwealth was a strange experience for the Dixon family, for starters, it was like being in the old world again, with electricity, stores, parties, and money, yes, the US dollar was the currency used in this place, and for the children who had never seen something like this, it was especially weird to explain.

Another thing that had made Natalia want to run for the hills, was being reintroduced to her parents, who she believed were both dead on a cruise in the middle of the ocean, but as luck would have it, they had wound up here of all places.

Not only was she surprised to find out that her mother had lasted ten years, but also that she had left her husband alive, instead of sacrificing Natalia's step father a long time ago.

The woman who had initiated the couple in, had been very thorough in where she was trying to place where she had seen Natalia's face before, and then it hit her, that one of their upper class elites, had to be of relation.

Apparently, due to their rankings, and how well off they were before, Natalia's parents had earned themselves a level of importance in the Commonwealth, because that was how things were done around here, who cares about walkers when you can have classism and capitalism.

Considering the parentage of Natalia, and her schooling, she was seen as a "well of" Person, from what she told them, at least, though Daryl, obviously, was not, which put them at not complete bottom, but they weren't becoming millionaires anytime soon, this had helped them at least get a house to fit their five children and Dog.

Evelyn, their eldest, had decided she didn't want to join her parents on their move to the Commonwealth, even though they had pleaded, and begged, and bribed, she'd stuck with her decision to go back to the Hilltop, with Maggie and Lydia.

When Natalia had finally met her parents, accidently, whilst on a tour of the community, it hadn't ended as sweet as you'd reckon a thirteen year reunion would go.

Natalia's mother had made a scene in the crowd, over the appearance of her daughters husband and children, the woman could not believe it, and had left in a hurry, not before delivering a slap to the adult woman's face, for her "whorishism."

It was late at night on their third day in the Commonwealth, the kids were all tucked up in bed, after a long day of unpacking, leaving Daryl and Natalia to finish exploring the downstairs part of the small house, changing things to fit their old one, until a knock at the door.

"I'll get it." Daryl told her, as she stirred her herbal tea, hoping to lift up her spirits.

"Okay, baby." She sighed.

She dipped the teabag once more, before draining it and tossing it in the trash.

"Nat." Daryl hissed from the front door.

"Who is it?" She asked, leaning against the wall, looking at him.

"Yer step dad." His eyes widened in urgency as he revealed their late night visitor.

"What?" She gasped.

"Nah, I just made it up." he rolled his eyes "He's right outside, alone."

"Okay, here's what we're gonna do, just back away from the door, turn off the lights and pretend we're not home, problem solved."

"Talia." The old man called through the door. "I know you're in there, could you open the door, my old bones can't handle this weather."

"Stop lying, you ain't that old, Peter!" Natalia clapped her hands over her mouth as soon as she spoke, her eyes shooting wide.

Daryl threw his hands in the air, sick of her shit, always running her mouth.

She rolled her eyes.

"Please, honey, I just want to make sure you're okay, y-y'know, we thought you were dead, this entire time, and I still never managed to get over it... too painful." He stammered.