Old Enemies

The group managed to clear the entry of the building, Daryl and Natalia entering it carefully as they looked around.

"Come on." Daryl headed to the garage part of the place.

He seemed to find what they needed as he picked up a car battery, placing it on a trolley so that they could examine it.

"Hmm, cells look pretty dry." Bob, who followed them in, commented.

"A little distilled water will clear that right out." Daryl said. "See, not a waste of time." He squinted up at the woman, in the dark.

They looked around the building again, to see if they could find anything else useful.

Daryl's flashlight settled on something on the floor.

"That's puke." He told the others. "Those douchebags in the vines took themselves out, holding hands. kumbaya style."

Natalia looked away, her bad mood worsening.

"Fucking idiots." She said, spitefully.

"They wanted to go out together, same as they lived." Bob said. "That make them douchebags?"

"It does if they could of gotten out." Daryl commented.

"It means they were fucking selfish and took the easy way out." Natalia told him, picking up an chocolate bar from one of the shelves, shoving a few in her pockets.

"Everybody makes it, until they don't. People nowadays are dominos. What they did, maybe its not about having to watch them fall."

"What do you know?" She rolled her eyes.

They walked forward, finding an old man, who had turned, stuck under a table, that seemed to collapse on top of him, Daryl and Natalia walked away, but Bob continued to stare down on him.

"Hey." She picked up a carton of Marlboro reds, after hopping the counter, holding it out to the redneck, who snatched them out of her hand.

She grabbed her own carton, pocketing them, as he grabbed the battery and the three left the store.

Daryl fitted the battery, a cigarette hanging between his lips as he worked, Natalia leaned against the car, smoking her own, looking out for behind the man as he fixed it up.

"You never told us about the group you were with before." Daryl told Bob, so this was his chance to get information out of the man, choosing to do it in front of Natalia so she couldn't accuse him of not doing it.

"Which one?" Bob asked, blowing smoke out his nostrils.

Daryl nodded, looking at his handiwork.

"You know, when you found me out on that road, I almost kept walking." Bob continued.

Natalia perked up, eying the man carefully.

"Why is that?" Daryl asked.

"Cause I was done being a witness. Two times, two different groups. I was the last one standing."

"That seems like an awful coincidence." Natalia commented.

"It was like I was supposed to see it happening over and over, like its some kind of curse." Natalia's eyes drifted between the two men, catching Daryl's eyes before he looked away.

"But, when its just you out there with the quiet... Used to be I'd drink a bottle of anything, just so I could shut my eyes at night. Figured the prison, the people, thought it'd be easier. The run to the big spot, I did it for me."

"You gotta keep busy." Daryl said, taking a swig of water, but Natalia knew where he was heading, moving closer around the car.

"No, I did it so I could get me a bottle of anything."