death

A/N sorry for all the sad chapters!!!!!

News of Peter's disappearance caught wind around the compound almost a little too late for Tony's liking. One minute the kid was there playing cards with Natasha and then he was gone. No clues left of his whereabouts, not even the spider suit remained in his room. It had been effortlessly cleaned out, a suspicious act in itself.

Peter... How can Tony put this without reducing the kid to a weaker version of himself? It was hard knowing where to draw the line between the lovable and joyful Peter Parker and the serious savior as Spider-Man. Both were one of the same but those two lives could no co-exist as Peter wished.

What he desperately wanted was to live without anyone knowing his secrets but hiding details from people he loved were sure to cost him in the long run. And they unfortunately did.

The world prematurely found out about Peter, tail spinning his social life into the gutter. Everywhere he went he was met with scrutiny and sizable questions that left the kid tongue tied. Even his longing crush Michelle rejected him at the start of the festive season, hating the principles he held to heart.

Tony couldn't quite blame her, some things were not meant to be. Though the anguished and heart-broken look that plastered Peter behind the mask was a different story.

There was a switch flipped inside the boy, withholding anything above a meek smile and that worried Tony, deeply to the core of his soul.

Peter's pain was his to share and he felt mostly responsible for this media frenzy. The paparazzi had followed him when he was mentoring Peter, the lies of his internship supposedly a good cover. However not good enough. As soon as they saw a slither of red and blue beneath Peter's crumpled dress shirt, the rest was sadly history.

Life spun around from a wardrobe malfunction, the foulest of crimes in Tony's lifestyle. The same should not be said for poor Peter Parker. He was a kid, an academic child now reduced to media scrutiny.

The boy's stay at the compound should have been a safe haven. After all it was aunt May who had brought up her concerns over her nephew, the late nights of Peter sniffling and wheezing through their thin connective wall enough to break the poor woman's heart.

No guardian should ever listen to their children break at the seams so at her insistence Tony had taken Peter under his wing full time. Both of them knew full well that Peter was too stubborn as a mule to even begin constructing a sentence of help, this being the better alternative than to wait it out.

Though as swiftly as Tony had promised to keep an eye on the kid, he slipped up. Early Spring, three weeks after the discovery, where the snow was still melting and patches of lush green grass was slowly revealing before their eyes. Christmas and New Year had come and gone around the compound, tinsel still finding its way into Tony's hair. Shiny plastic, an annoyance for Spring.

This all should have been a good time for a reset, for the media to back off and choose another target and also to realign Peter with the rest of the Avengers but what Peter was experiencing was no ordinary Winter blues. It was more than just a slump and a change of mind. His words were curt when speaking to everyone, even aggravating Tony on more than one occasion.

Tony knew he had to be the bigger man but hearing "uh" and "yeah" for the ninth consecutive time would get to anyone. He left the kid with Natasha, a more level headed person than Tony had been in that moment and spun quickly on his heels to the other end of the compound, one that held access to his personal lab.

Stupid, utterly insane.

That's what Tony was when he rashly decided to close off his communications to the outside world and cranked up the heavy rock too damn high to even notice the door shaking hours later, near coming off its hinges with Rhodey's fists slamming into them.