Homecoming

there is no fricking way peter walked away from that fight like nothing happened-

Peter dropped Liz's dad on the sand and groaned as every inch of his body screamed out in pain. He couldn't put any weight on his right leg, could barely move it, and his left arm hung limp at his side.

His chest was burning, making it hard to breathe as fire raged around him.

He knew he had to get somewhere safe, to get help, but his vision was nothing but blurred lights and black spots, and when his eyes closed of their own accord, he dropped to the sand and felt nothing.

................

Voices. Heat. Pain.

And he knew that voice, it was comforting to him. Something like a dad but not quite.

"Peter? Can you hear me? I'm here, kid, you'll be okay, just don't move. Happy, get me a med team here, now! Jesus, this is all my fault. Peter, stay with me, come o-"

The voice fell away into darkness. Or maybe it was Peter that was falling.

He didn't know how long he'd been gone for, but when the real world came back, it came back fast.

He snapped back to consciousness so quickly it was like he'd never left it. Fires were being put out around him as people rushed around, some of them crowding around Peter, but all he could feel was pain and all he could hear was his own scream.

He sobbed, in agony, as hands gripped at his limbs, and stabbed his skin.

"P-please stop, it hurts!"

The sky above him was full of smoke, and he coughed painfully as he struggled to pull in more than shallow pants. Voices called out around him, quick and urgent.

"Get that line taped in, and strap his leg down, we can't have him moving it until we get some x-rays done. Peter, I need to stay calm and lay still. We're here to help, you'll be okay."

Straps pulled over his chest, rubbing against his bare chest, and pressing wires down. He hurt so much, and they were holding him down. There was something around his neck, preventing him from turning his head, and he didn't feel sand underneath him anymore, just something cold and hard.

He was scared and in pain and as much as he fought against the straps and hands holding him down, he couldn't move. Peter let out another sob as he slumped against the backboard he was held to.

"Be careful with him."

That voice again, it was Mr Stark. He was close by and Peter wanted to see him, to know that he was safe, but he couldn't find him.

Another voice, one he didn't know, started shouting as his eyes dropped.
"Don't fall asleep, kid! Keep your eyes open!"

But the blackness was creeping in again and he couldn't fight it.

................

Peter was moving, or rather, he was being moved. He wasn't fully aware of anything just yet. It was like being underwater, where the sounds are muffled and all you can see is blurry warped images of the world above.

Peter's eyes were closed, and he didn't have control over his body, but he felt it, and he felt the pain as well as the hands crowding over his skin.

Cool air hit his bare chest, as efficient fingers pressed into his sides and over his torso, making him hurt as voices jumbled together in a cacophony of sound that he wished would just go away.

"I need a CT and MRI done as soon as we have his shoulder in place and I want that leg strapped down until the scans come back. Mr Stark, you can wait in the-"