ghost peter part 3

"Tony," Pepper started, "Tony, I'm pregnant."

"What? Honey, that's fantastic!"

Pepper beamed. This week had been harder than the others for Tony. He still has the nightmares, and Pepper didn't expect them to get any better.

Happy. Sam. Bucky. Peter. Half of all their interns. Pepper's Mom and dad.

The tower felt so empty some days, like there was a void that would never be filled.

Peter, however, was having good week.

Well, as good as a week can get when you are a ghost, that is. He had traveled with them to the cabin- was it a cabin? It was bigger than Peter and May's whole apartment! But they want to the cabin, which was on a lake.

Peter, to his joy, found he could type on keyboards. So, he helped Mr. Stark in his lab. Nothing major, but he helped solve equations that Mr. Stark got stuck on.

He didn't come to this idea until Mr. Stark came out of his lab mumbling under his breath. Peter was cleaning the other room-well more like tidying up because he couldn't put stuff away from other rooms without running into Pepper or Mr. Stark.

Pepper asked him what was wrong, and Peter's ears perked up. Maybe it was something he could help with!

He talked about equations. Little flaws in his mechanics that lead up to one big fail.

Peter's face fell. He wasn't sure he could type on keyboards, or if FRIDAY would talk to him when he was alone. He assumed that she didn't count as a person, because with her he was technically never alone.

So Peter snuck into the lab while Pepper tried to convince him that he needed some sleep.

To his joy, he found out he could type. So he helped him with minor equations, and Mr. Stark just thought he was crazy.

But he never brought it up with Pepper. And if Pepper noticed that the house was cleaner than normal, she never brought it up. She thought that Mr. Stark was just doing his part for the baby.

And Peter? Peter was just happy that he was making Mr. Stark and Pepper happy. Slowly the dark circles beneath their eyes started to disappear. Peter discovered that if he really focused, he could pick up things while the people in the room are asleep. This lead to many nights of them waking up from nightmares to a steaming hot cup of tea next to them, or having blankets draped over them whenever the fell asleep on couches or slumped over workshop tables.

Peter still hadn't written the note. It lingered in the back of his mind.

What to say though? Peter didn't want to upset the Starks, but at the same time, all he wanted to do some days was wrote out his feelings, or have an actual conversation with someone. He wanted to let them know he was there.

It was the nighttime when Peter started writing. He thought about it, and realized that if he pretended the notes were from before, he could talk to him without Tony having to freak out.

That idea came to him suddenly, like a girl in the drunken 3am state, who decided she wanted to do something even though she was against it at first. Almost exactly likely that.

So Peter wrote the notes, and acted like he was just a excited lab assistant, not a ghost looking out for his new father mentor.
-
Dear Mr. Stark,

Today we had egg rolls. I didn't know you liked eggrolls- like, Tony Stark is a person too? Crazy, right? I look up to you because you are so cool, but now that I'm seeing you for Tony, instead of Mr. Stark, I think I look up to you even more.
-
Peter smiled as he finished the note. After redrafting it all night, he was finally satisfied.

It was what Peter decided Mr. Stark needed, a reminder that he was his own unique person, and that people love him.

Peter smiled as he stuck it in between some papers in the lab.

Old Peter would be mortified by this, but this Peter could hardly wait for Mr. Stark to find it.
———————————————————
Tony blinked.

It was still there.

The note, scribbled in all to familiar handwriting.

Handwriting that he had seen scribbled on the side of blueprints and sticky notes, reminding him to get some sleep.

But it was impossible! He blinked again. Still there.

With his hands shaking, Tony reached for the note.

-
Dear Mr. Stark,

Today we had egg rolls. I didn't know you liked eggrolls- like what? Tony Stark is a person too? Crazy, right? And it's Chinese! I looked up to you because you were cool, but now that I'm seeing you for Tony, instead of Mr. Stark, I think I look up to you even more.
-
"You hungry, kid?"

Peter looked up from his lab table, where he was making more webs.

"Um, yes Mr. Stark sir, but I'm fine."

Tony rolled his eyes. "Kid, I've told you! Call me Tony. And I'm ordering Chinese, and I'm planning on ordering enough for me and a person with super metabolism. That second person can either be you or Steve, but I'd rather it be you."

Peter turned red at this confession.

"I...um.. ok..."

Tony smiled and walked out of the room to place the order. That kid. He had only known him for a month, but he would die for Peter.
-
Tony had started crying, much to the horror of Peter. He had just wanted to make him smile, and this was the opposite!

"Peter..." Tony has his voice filled with tears, his breath sharp.

He shook, and started walking up the stairs. "Hey Pepper, look what I just found!"

She appeared at the top, strawberry hair in a messy bun, with a laundry basket against her hip.

"What?"

"It's a note."

"You write yourself notes all the-"

"From him."

Pepper's face widened. "Him?" She said breathlessly.

Peter had heard the commotion by now, and he walked to see what was happening. He paused on the stairs when he heard Pepper say him.

Had he found the letter? A quick peek at the paper in Mr. Stark's hand confirmed Peters thoughts, and he excitedly waited their reaction.

Mr. Stark handed the note to Pepper, and she chuckled. "Were so cool."

"Like I'm not anymore," Mr. Stark's eye rolled. "Kid, please."

He paused. "Six months, Pepper. Six. And were not any closer. I wish... I just..."

"I know. No one blames you, Tony."

"I do, Pepper. I do."

The air grew thicker every second, until Pepper turned and left to go finish the laundry.

Tony turned down the stairs and started to tinker on the latest project.

Peter sat on the stairs, wondering what to do.

Should he write more notes, or stop?