Chapter 6: The Reckoning

Why is the room so quiet? I'm standing in front of these 5 new people, and told them I would join something that they love and fight for, and they are silent? I don't understand... is it the way I said it? Is it the way I am standing? Should I fix my posture or something? Well... that didn't work. Now I'm awkward and uncomfortable. They are still looking at me like they know I will get harmed... like I am a victim.
    "Did all of you hear what I said?" I say, in hopes of avoiding a lecture.
     Hawk adds, "Kate, you can't join. Then you will be brought into this whole karate shit too. Your brother told me if I let you get harmed-"
      I cut him off, "Don't worry about what my brother said. My brother says a lot of shit, he is fucking overprotective. You can't tell me that I won't do it. That shit is not happening." I say, annoyed with him and everyone else.
       "It's too dangerous. If you don't know, Miguel got put in the fucking hospital, not even to mention Sam has some kind of freaky Freddy Krueger mark on her arm. Cobra Kai is after all of us, and if they figure out you have joined, which they will eventually, you will be in the same boat as us. Every day is a fucking fight with Cobra Kai, and that shit is not happening to you as well." says Hawk, annoyed with my independence.
      I shift my body towards the entirety of the room, "And you all just FUCKING ASSUME that I'm going to get attacked as well? All of these people don't even fucking know me, and I'll be damned if you think that I'm some kind of victim. Fuck all of you if you are so ignorant that you think I am that dumb. Not all blondes are fucking retardants."
      The room just got silent again. I am not sure what to say to them. I look to Sam, and she looks crushed, like everything she said to me didn't matter. How do I fix this? Where does this go from here? Am I still their friend? The pit in my stomach turned into an ache, lingering over my body. I sit on the chair that its places beside the couch, starring into the abyss. I can't look at them? They would read me like a book if they gazed into my ocean blue eyes. Do I say something.... Do I wait for one of them to say something? A room hasn't been this silent since we got the call that my mom was in a car accident.
        "Listen" says Robby, interrupting my thoughts, "we aren't telling you what you can or cannot do-"
       "The hell we aren't, she could end up just like Samantha, or even worse, like fucking Miguel-", Hawk says, getting interrupted by Miguel.
       "Hawk, I love you like my brother, but shut the fuck up. You can't let what happen to me depict every aspect of this conversation. Yeah I got put into a coma, but you forget that Sensei helped me walk again. That fight cannot be the way we enter this conversation."
      "But what if something like that happens to her? We will be responsible for her injuries and attack's because we are the ones who encouraged her to get into karate." says Hawk.
      "Yeah, but once the Cobra Kai's figure out, she will have a target on her back anyway. If you haven't noticed Hawk, your road is eaten alive with Cobra's. If she chose Miyagi Fang, at least she could defend herself to a certain extent." says Samantha, realizing the situation.
       I hear a car alarm go off outside, but it doesn't sound like my fathers though.
    "Is that... my car alarm?!?" says Samantha, getting up from her seat.
    "Holy shit, it's the fucking Cobra Kai's!" says Miguel.
    "Dammit dammit DAMMIT." says Samantha, going to rush outside.
    "What's going on?" says my father, exiting his study and entering the living room at a fast pace.
     "They are messing up my car." says Samantha, with her face scrunched and her fist balling.
     "Let me handle this." says my dad, taking off his reading glasses and setting them down on the coffee table as he exits the room.
      "HEY, GET OUT OF MY YARD BEFORE I CALL THE POLICE." he yells, angrily.
       "I wonder why they did that?" my dad says.
     "Mr. Salvatore, we need to have a talk." says Hawk.
      "I will help explain.", "Me too" says Miguel then Robby.
      "Okay, let's go into my study." says my father, sounding worried for me.
    My father looks at me, but it isn't his usual face. It's a glare. His eyebrows lower. His hazel enhanced eyes stare into my soul. As if he knew something bad was coming.
     They all exit the room.
    "I'm coming!" says Demetri, following them.
    Hawk glares at me and Samantha and shuts the door. Blocking us to listen to their conversation.