Chapter 57: The Elevator

"He had a panic attack. For the next few weeks he will have to take it easy, and keep his stress to a minimum." Mr LaRusso said.
  I don't know what to think. A million thoughts run through my mind, but one towers far above the others.
  "What will happen if any of this happens again?" I ask.
  "It could be way worse than a panic attack Kate." he responds with a serious tone. 
  I look to him and start to cry. He hugs me and tries to comfort me. I'm so scared for Hawk.
  "When will he be discharged?" I ask.
  "He's going to have to stay overnight tonight for observation, but he can be discharged tomorrow."
  "What about the bonfire Friday?" I ask.
  "He can go, but he will have to keep his stress to a minimum."
  "Okay." I say, nervously.
  "He wants to see you." he says.
  "Please take me to him." I respond.
  "He actually wants to talk to you alone." he says. "I'll give you the room number."
  He tells me the room number and I hastily get up. I need to be there with him. I run to Hawk.
   I push through the wind to get to Hawk. I pass by doctors, nurses, and other people in the hallways. I run to find the nearest elevator, looking through hallways and corners trying to find it. I finally find the elevator and press the button to go up.
The elevator stops and so does my heart when I see the person entering the elevator. It's none other than my uncle, Terry Silver.
  "Oh, hello Kate."
  "Hey." I say, worried. I don't have time to mess with him, I'm trying to get to Hawk.
  "Why are you here?"
  "I don't think that it is any of your damn business." I respond.
  "Why are you acting this way?"
  "I think you know exactly why I am acting this way. Your Cobra Kai's beat the shit out of me, and it was all because I didn't join your damn dojo. You have also corrupted my brother and he hates me now more than he ever has before. So let me spell it out for you. We are not on good terms, and quite honestly, it's very shallow of you to act like you and I are on good terms. I'm actually ashamed of you for being my family, my flesh and blood. So pardon me for being a little salty around you."
"What are you talking about?" he asked.
"What do you mean?" I ask.
"My students attacked you? he asked.
"Yeah, about a month ago." I respond.
  "I had no idea. I will talk to them about this."
"There's no need in it. Just let it go." I say.
  The button dings and we are at the floor that Hawk is on. I get out of the elevator and run down the hallway to find the room number.
  "May I help you?" one of the nurses ask.
"Yes, I'm trying to find room 1503." I say.
  "Oh, are you friends and family?" she asks.
"Yes." I say hastily.
  "Right down the hallway, right across from the nursing desk."
  "Thank you."
  I walk down the hallway and I see the nursing desk and I see it, room 1503. I walk to the room and open the door.
  "Kate?"
"Hey Hawk. How are you feeling?" I ask.
  "I've been better." he laughs.
"I heard you are going to get discharged tomorrow."
  "Yeah, it wasn't a really bad panic attack though so I'm lucky."
  "How bad was it?"
"It was bad enough to make me pass out. Usually all that happens is you start to feel weird and overwhelmed. So apparently it was a bad one." he says.
"Do you mind me asking what was it like?"
"It's no problem. I was walking down the stairs and then I saw this thing and I started to feel bad so I sat down on the floor and then it felt like the room was spinning and my heart started beating really fast and I started sweating and then the room went black. Then I woke up and was in here."
"Oh okay. I'm going to stay with you here tonight."
"Kate you don't have to do that." he says.
"No I want to." I respond.
"So.. when's the court date?" Hawk asked.
   I have completely forgotten about that.
"I think it's tomorrow at 3 PM."
"Really? They are really wanting to put them away as soon as they can."
"Yeah. I was really hoping you would go with me, Mr LaRusso, and Sensei Lawrence. Seeing how you was there when it happened."
"Yeah I will be there." he looks up and down my body. "See, I told you."
  "Told me what?"
  "That you would look gorgeous in that dress. Purple is your color."
  I blush. "Thank you Hawk."
  "It's no problem. Can I talk to you about something?"
  "Of course."
"If you just want to be 'friends' for a while then why are you here?"
"Just because I want to take a small break from dating doesn't mean I don't still love and care for you."
  "I just want to know. Do you think you have an idea in your head when you will be ready to start dating again?"
  "After I get closure. This whole situation has taught me that I need to get closure in order to be happy again."
  "Can I put in my opinion Katelyn?"
  He called me Katelyn. This must be bad.
  "Yeah." I say.
"I think that you are truly scared of being hurt again. The kidnapping made you have a snap-back to reality, but your reality is different now. It's not how it used to be. Your brain remembers the last time something like that happened.. when you went downhill and then as everything was getting better you lost your mom. You think that you are going to lose someone again, but Kate I can assure you that you will not lose me."
  He is right. I am scared of losing him. He has been in my life for a month and I can't even imagine my life without him.
  "You are right." I say.