Chapter 54: Conversations lead to healing

Karate class ends and I'm sweating. I go to the corner of the sparring deck and grab a drink of my water from my white Hydro Flask. I look to my left and see Hawk, and he just looks to me then looks down. I just look away in guilt. I shouldn't have ended it like that. I want to make it right, but know I can't. I pick up my phone and look at it. I see a text from Hawk.
  "Listen Kate. I just wanted you to know that even though we are on a 'break' now I will not stop caring for you."
  I look up to my surroundings and see Hawk leaving. I see Samantha walk up to me.
  "Okay, so what does Hawk mean by you two are on a 'break'?"
  "We are on a break." I say.
"Why?"
  "Because I don't want him feeling bad for me. I need to focus on myself right now." I say.
"But come on Kate... you can't seriously say that it's not killing you that you are not with him right now."
"I-" it is killing me. I want to apologize and say that I am sorry and that I want him and I love him. As much as I say that. I need to focus on my problems right now.
   "It is, but once I figure all of this shit out... I'm going to fix it."
  "Are you still coming to the bonfire Friday?" Samantha asks.
  "Obviously." I respond.
"Okay, well let's go home. You have to get ready for your Daddy-Daughter date." 
  I cringe, "Do people seriously still call it that? It is so cringe."
  "Come on. Oh and by the way, your dad dropped off your dress, shoes, and headband. Said something about how he and you went shopping and he picked out the dress?"
  The dress. I can't believe he remembered. It was a lavender purple dress that is knee-length and is puffed out from the waist down. Dad told me that I looked like a model because I laughed when he called me a princess. It was the last piece of clothing I bought from Utah... before mom died.
   "I honestly can't believe he remembers that dress." I say, remembering what life was like before mom died. Yeah, dad wasn't there a lot, but when he was... my world changed. "I guess we better head to your house then." I say.
  "Let's go." Samantha responds.
We get to her house and I dart upstairs to get a shower. I walk into my room to get my clothes, and hear a knock at the door.
"Come in." I say.
I see Hawk walk in. I'm not quite sure what to say, or even think. I just want to apologize for ending it like that, he didn't deserve that.
"Hey, can we talk for a minute?" he asks.
"Yes, of course." I responded hastily.
"I'm sorry for talking to you like I was your therapist. I didn't really mean to." he said.
"You shouldn't apologize, it was me. I'm so sorry it's just that.... I just... I need to take some time to think and reflect on me."
"I completely agree with that. You have been through a lot and you deserve to be happy." he says.
"You are so sweet." I say, giving him a hug.
"I will leave you to get ready for your Daddy-Daughter Date." he says, following a laugh.
"Stop, it's not funny." I say in a playful manner.
"Okay okay." he says, starting to laugh. "By the way. That dress is going to look good on you." he says.
"And how do you know that?" I responded.
"Because you look cute in purple." he says, making me blush.
"Okay, I need to go get my shower." I say to Hawk, who starts walking away.
"For your Daddy-Daughter date." he slides in, starting to run off.
"I WILL GET YOU BACK." I yell down the stairs.
Maybe we can get along and be good friends anyway.