Chapter 75: Karate

I am walking into training today and I am excited. I have already learned so much and I am also excited because in 5 days I am starting school in Los Angeles. A school where I have friends and I'm not a complete outcast. A new beginning.
  "Hey Kate." Samantha says, walking up to me and Hawk.
   "Hey." I respond.
  "We need to go shopping for cute outfits before school starts."
  "Okay, what about today after Karate?" I ask.
"That would actually be perfect because Anthony is Back-to-School shopping with mom."
   "Oh okay, I'll let Noah know." I say, pulling out my phone.
  "I'm glad that you are good with him." Samantha says.
   "Even though he's in Cobra Kai?" I ask.
  "Eventually he will give in and join Miyagi-Fang."
   "You really think so?" I ask.
  "I'm positive."
    "QUIET. Fall in." Sensei Lawrence says. "Today we are splitting Miyagi-Do and Eagle Fang and sparring."
   "When we call your names come to our side." Mr LaRusso says.
   They list names and students go to that side. Sensei Lawrence calls my name and I walk over and stand beside Devon Lee.
   "They are going to have me spar Tory and you and Sam." she says.
  "How do you know?" I ask.
   "I saw Sensei Lawrence's clip board. Why does he think it makes him look like a business man?" Devon asks.
"No idea, he carries that thing around like it's his baby." I respond.
We direct our attention to the sparring deck and watch different matches. I then hear Sensei Lawrence say, "Kate and Samantha." I breathe and then step onto the sparring deck.
"Face me, bow." Sensei Lawrence says.
"Face each other, bow." Mr LaRusso says.
"Fighting positions." Sensei Lawrence says.
I stare at Sam and stand in a fighting position. I look into her baby blue eyes and see her get in a fighting position.
"Fight." Mr LaRusso says.
Samantha kicks me and I block it, I then grab her arm and punch her in the side.
"Point Salvatore." Miguel says in the corner, holding up a red flag.
"Face me, bow." Mr LaRusso says.
"Face each other, bow." Sensei Lawrence says.
"Fighting positions." Mr LaRusso says.
I stare at Sam, and she returns the stare.
"Fight." Sensei Lawrence says.
I go to punch Samantha and she kicks me to the ground and punches me in the torso.
"Point LaRusso." Hawk says.
Dammit. I knew what she was going to do and I fell for it anyway.
"Score 1-1." Sensei Lawrence says. "Face me, bow."
"Face each other, bow." Mr LaRusso says.
"Fighting positions." Sensei Lawrence says.
"Fight." Mr LaRusso says.
Samantha charges at me and tries to perform a haymaker punch, and I quickly block it. I then perform a flying side kick and knock her to the ground.
"Point Salvatore." Miguel says.
I look to Sam and see that she is getting frustrated.
"Score is 2-1. One more point to win." Sensei Lawrence says, looking in my direction. "Face me, bow."
"Face each other, bow." Mr LaRusso says.
I look to Samantha in her eyes and see that this is more than just winning a fight, it's proving something to someone. That being said, I have to prove that I can win a fight, whether on the mat or wherever.
"Fighting positions." Sensei Lawrence says.
I have to prove that I can do this.
"Fight." Mr LaRusso says.
Samantha wraps her legs around me and flips me onto the mat, she tries to kick me in the torso but I move out of the way. I stand on my feet and throw a double kick and look around. I then hear.
"Point Salvatore, Winner." Miguel says.
I just won a fight. It might not have been a completely real fight, but it was a fight.
I look to Samantha and walk over to her. "You done really good."
"Thank you, congratulations. You are a really good fighter." Samantha says back.
"I am so glad you aren't mad." I say.
"This was just practice. We are showing our moves off so we can grow before the All-Valley." Samantha says. "You are a natural."
We then watch the remaining fights and before I know it, class is over.
"Hey." Hawk says.
"Hey." I respond plainly.
"Congratulations on your fight with Sam." he says.
"Thanks, and congratulations on your fight with Miguel." I respond.
"Thanks." he says.
Samantha walks up to us with Miguel.
"Hey Kate, I was thinking we all could go together shopping." Samantha says.
"That's actually a great idea." I respond. "Who's all joining us?"
"Tory, Robby, Demetri, Miguel, Hawk, you and I. Oh, and Yasmine will meet us there." Samantha says.
"Who's Yasmine?" I ask.
"She's my girlfriend." Demetri says, walking up to us.
Demetri has a girlfriend? I didn't know that. Good for him.
"Who's riding with who?" Samantha asks as we are walking to the front of the dojo.
"I'll ride with Hawk." Demetri says.
"I will as well." I add.
"I'll ride with you." Miguel says to Samantha.
"I'll ride with Tory." Robby says.
"Why don't you two ride with me and Miguel?" Samantha asks Tory and Robby.
"That sounds good to me." Tory responds.
"Not that I actually had an option, but I think that sounds good as well." Robby says, sarcastically adding his input.
"Damn right, and never forget it." Tory says in a humorous tone.
We all walk to the front and Hawk opens the passenger door for me. Demetri gets in the backseat and I get in the passenger seat. We buckle up and Hawk backs up the truck.
"So why do you never drive?" Hawk asks Demetri.
"Because I have wrecked the past two cars I have had. You really want me to get in another car crash?" Demetri asks.
   "I don't, maybe you should just learn to drive better." Hawk says, shrugging his shoulders. 
   "Maybe you should learn how to do an axe kick instead of driving all of the time." Demetri says.
   "Heated argument." I say. Why did I have to say that? Ugh.
  "It's okay." Hawk says to me, then adjusts his rear view mirror. "Call me when you win an All Valley buddy."
   "That stupid All Valley Champion title is why Moon kissed you at the bonfire." Demetri says.
   I turn around to look at Demetri, then at Hawk.
  "You kissed someone at the party?" I ask.
   "I didn't kiss her, she kissed me." Hawk says.
  "I forgot we weren't supposed to tell her. Sorry." Demetri says.
  "You told them not to tell me? What the heck Hawk?" I ask.
   "I didn't think it would be that important." he says. "I didn't want you to get upset over nothing."
   "Hawk." I look at him. "We were broken up at that party. What happened at that party stayed there. Everything." I take a deep breath. "However, you telling our friends not to tell me hurts. For now on, can you please not keep secrets from me?"
   "Yes, of course." he says.
  The rest of the car ride is silent.