A crack in the glass

Artemis's pov

Taking out my black wings; I flew to all the way Celeste's castle and entered her room through the balcony, she noticed my reflection in the mirror as she was putting on an earring and instantly smiled.

a smile like that made me guilt tons worse, yet any stalling would result in even further pain.

"Artemis, what are you doing here?"

"I'm here to tell you something and I plead.." banting  "..from the bottom of my heart that you forgive me."

Sensing the seriousness of the situation, she turned away in her chair to be facing me

"F-forgive you? For what...? What's going on?"

A concerned look on her face grew, her bottom lip twitching

"there is no easy way to say this..."

I took a deep breath, closed my eyes and paced around the room moving my hands to avoid looking at her.

"Artemis..."

she dragged, her face losing more color by the second

"I will be attending today, because I do not wish to embarrass you or give anyone the wrong impression about the future of my kingdom by not representing it properly. But, it's all for show; because I've met my soulmate, just now in fact..."

It was cowardly of me of avoid her gaze during my so called justified-speech. Cowardice appeared kinder than cruelty, when in fact; both were one and the same.

Her tears silently and helplessly rolled down her cheeks

"Do I repel you so much..?" Her golden dress dulled in color like the rest of her

Now is the moment for damage control, and what damage control was i even capable of? I turned back to look at her in the eyes, I approached her and held her by the shoulders.

"No. You're wonderful, it's simply that ever since I met-"

My words were anchored in my throat refusing to come up, Pangs of guilt washed over me.

It seemed by reaction that it was inconsiderate to keep explaining, so I stopped....

Celeste got up and wiped her tears with her hands "All I wished for was to see you passionate about me as I've always been you, but I've been only lying to myself. I'm not surprised, Artemis."

She stared into the void and crossed her arms, giving me a cold shoulder. I did not dare utter a word.I had no right either ways.

"I simply feel like a fool that I now have to go out there and act like this is one of my happiest days of this millennia..."

"Celeste..."

"Please, " She wiped another tear across her cheek and pointed to the door

"I understand the importance of a cosmic connection, but even without one , you still wouldn't have given us a chance"

She sat back down, elbows on her vanity as she ignored both her reflection and mine. I came up behind her and looked at her reflection; for I did not bear to face the real Celeste.

"I'm not going to tell you this to give you false hope , but if this didn't happen; I would have made this work. Mother always loved you, there were days when I only wanted to bother her with my abstinence but deep down, I knew, you'd have made me a better ruler, a happier one at that."

A forced smile formed at the corner of her lip

"Thank you for that..."

"Are you ready to get out there?"