The sisterhood of the Traveling Ring

Artemis's POV

Last night I had to battle my demons;  had we done it, our bond would have been completed, with no way to retreat. I could not explain it so I had to make her choice for her. She may not wish to rush a lifelong connection.

which proved a lot harder than I thought it would be, but it has prepared me to face my greatest conquerer and finally defeat it; the doubt my mother has planted in my head and my heart.

The darkest of thoughts had been lurking around the corners of my mind for the longest time. But other than the lingering effects of the other night's alcohol, nothing would stand in my path; Destiny is destined to be mine.

Upon her leaving to get ready, her strawberry and jasmine aroma blew my way, dominating the room long after her departure, and imprinting in my memory.

I suffer the agony of anticipation, they say absence makes the heart grow fonder

My eyes darted to my mirrored dresser, to the ring I had hidden in the folds of the book I hadn't been able to finish since Destiny entered my life.

I laughed to myself as I held the ring box, remembering our first encounter as my fingers ran through the soft velvet lining of the box, filling me with the warmest sensation and strangely, encouragement. "Everything must be perfect..."

My fists entombed the ring box for a good minute, my hourglass was empty thus it was time to go.

"I will come back to you"

I kissed the box and hit it between the pages

•••
Destiny's pov

It was the day of the ball, we made it this far! And the fear curled in my gut like never before.

Cae and Celeste were the earliest to arrive as I was told, finishing up touches as they claimed. I wasn't allowed out of my room until every last detail was tailored to perfection as Arti insisted.

I gazed into my reflection, I barely recognized this woman; this halo crown with pink flowers that Demetri recommended, the long white gloves, and hair updo. I prayed to not be bawled at, or at least, made fun of...

Afomia's constant pacing and jumping around didn't cease to end until a knock on my door brought us both back to our senses.

"HE IS HERE!"

Afomia whispered soundly, running to me and fixing my hair

"Leave it alone!"

I whispered as I made my way to the door only to be met with a tall figure, not normally in color , towering over me.

"Well look at you, freckles... you clean up nice"

Immediately taking the door frame to lean on, his sarcastic tone made it a little less awkward

A scoff escaped my lips.

"Well you too, exotic choice of color I see... very bold."

Judging him, looking up and down and laughing

"I thought I'd switch it up for you, no need to look like a fool on your own."

Returning the energy

Our intense eye contact was giving me thoughts, but the time was no ally of ours.

"Is that so?"

"I know I look good in it, but how amazing would I look without it?"

His ego didn't suffer a bit, his smugness was rather provoking. Our breaths were in sync as we got closer to the door frame, both our arms crossed and our heads opposing each other in a trash talk dual.