Chapter 113: The Promise Of Distance

*Eli's P.O.V*

As I walk into the airport, the familiar hum of travelers and intercom announcements fills the air, but it's like I'm hearing it all from underwater.

Sam's hand is warm in mine, a stark contrast to the knot of cold anxiety in my stomach. We're here together, yet every step we take is a step closer to a temporary goodbye.

I can feel the eyes of Sam's family and Chozen on us, their presence a comforting yet heavy reminder of the support we all share.

We're stalling, lingering in the space between the entrance and the check-in counters, none of us quite ready to face the finality of a check-in.

I'm grateful for these extra minutes, holding onto Sam's hand like it's the only thing keeping me grounded. I try to etch into my memory the way she looks right now, all the little details that I'll have to hold onto until we're together again.

Laughter and light conversation bubble up around us, but it's hard to join in. I manage a smile here and there, but it doesn't quite reach my eyes.

Saying goodbye to Sam, even for a short while, feels like leaving a piece of myself behind. But I know this isn't the end. It's just a pause, a deep breath we're taking together before we dive into the next chapter of our lives.

It's the promise of distance, the faith that it will make us stronger. And with that thought, I squeeze Sam's hand a little tighter, ready to face whatever comes next.

"You guys have everything you need?" Daniel asked Chozen and Sam.

"I have everything." Chozen responded.

"So do I." Sam answered right after him.

"I'm just making sure." Daniel said.

I can tell that he's trying to stay calm, strong but his only daughter is going to another country. This is hard on him. But he's trying his best to keep it together and not cry.

"Be sure to call us when you've landed." Amanda said to Sam, bringing her in for a hug.

The hug between the two of them was tight. I can tell that Amanda didn't want to let go of Sam either. I know I didn't.

Even the distance between our hands is bringing me some uneasiness.

"I'll be sure to call you and let you know that I've arrived and settled." Sam assured her mom.

And while the two of them were talking, Anthony came up to me.

"This is hurting you, isn't it?" He asked.

I looked at him. "Yeah, it is. The girl I just got back together with is now on her way to another country. I'm still having a hard time processing it but I'm keeping strong for her."

"You're not the only one keeping strong." He said, "We all are."

I watched as I see Sam talking with her parents, saying their goodbyes before she heads to Okinawa.

I can tell it's emotional for them but hey, it's an emotional time.

"I'm going to miss you, younger brother." I heard Sam say as she walked up to Anthony.

The two siblings shared a hug with each other and I can see a few tears forming in Anthony's eyes. This is his sister. Someone who he could look up to. I wonder what's going through his head.

"I'll miss you too, Sam." Anthony whispered to his sister.

When they pulled away from their hug, Sam made her way to me.