Chapter 10: Distance

*Hawk's P.O.V*

I had to leave the dojo right away.

After being treated like a human punching bag by Johnny and then getting yelled at by Sensei LaRusso, I knew I wasn't in the right place right now.

It's bad enough that the students - minus Miguel, Demetri, and Sam - were making me feel like shit but I thought with Johnny and Daniel being a sensei, a leader, a mentor - they would've tried to help me try to fit in and be there for me when I struggled.

I didn't expect it to be the other way around.

I knew I wouldn't be instantly forgiven after the shit I did when I used to be in Cobra Kai but I at least wanted a chance to prove myself.

I want to change my ways. I want to be a better person.

As I was leaving, I know that Sam tried to stop me to make sure that I was alright.

But I brushed her off.

I told her that I wanted to be left alone.

It made me feel shitty because she's been so nice to me since I left Cobra Kai and I've realized that I do love being around her.

But I wouldn't admit that to anyone.

With everything that is happening right now, I can't afford to lose my control.

I need to distance myself from Sam. Not forever but for awhile.

Thinking about distancing myself from her killed me on the inside.

But I mean it when I say that I need to be on my own at the moment.

I made it back home in no time and I went inside to try and keep myself calm. I can't lose control. Keep it together.

I grabbed a soda can from the fridge and took a sip of it to cool off.

The coldness of the liquid went down my throat smoothly, making me instantly relax.

It was starting to make me feel better.

As soon as I put the soda down, the doorbell to the house went off.

Who is that? I wasn't expecting anyone to come over.

I walked over to the front door and opened it. Who was on the other side of it? Sam.

"Hi." She said as soon as she saw me.

"Hi." I said, shocked to see her here.

"I came here to talk to you."

I didn't say anything. The only thing I did was open the door wider for her to come in and she followed in suit.

We walked into the kitchen where I offered her a drink and she said that she's fine with a glass of water.

I handed her the glass of water, "Here you go."

"Thank you." She took it and then took a sip of it.

It started to get awkward because we weren't talking. I kept replaying today's events in my head and it was starting to give me a headache.

I heard Sam sigh before she said, "I'm sorry about what my dad said to you."

"You don't need to apologize for him."

"But I do." She said, "Because he won't do it himself."

That's so like Sam. Apologizing for her father's actions. She shouldn't have to do that.

"It's not your fault, Sam. It's mine." I said, seriously.

"Hawk, I know you did some shitty stuff when you used to be Cobra Kai. But I'm willing to give you a chance to change."