Chapter 47- Poem Of The Heart

Hannibal walked out of his house and got in his car. He paused as he sensed another presence that wasn't his own. Then he looked in the rearview mirror.

"Castiel, show yourself."

The angel materialized behind him.

"Are you here to call me a monster again," Hannibal asked, a hint of anger still heard in his calm tone.

"We need to talk," Castiel said, "Privately."

Castiel placed a hand on his shoulder, teleported away. They arrived at an empty field of flowers. It was nighttime, so Hannibal could only assume they were outside of the state of Maryland.

"About today..."

"Save it. I don't wish to hear any of your excuses," Hannibal said, interrupting him.

"Hans, I..."

"Hannibal," Hannibal corrected.

Castiel lowered his eyes, realizing he was more angry than he imagined.

"Hannibal, I apologize for our intrusion," Castiel said, "But we were simply following orders."

"You do that a lot. Follow orders as if you are a mindless soldier," Hannibal said.

"I'm a soldier of God..."

"God is gone, Castiel," Hannibal snapped, "Maybe it's time you follow your own agenda."

"I can't do that," Castiel said, "I'm not like you. I serve heaven."

"Is it that wrong for you to want something more," Hannibal asked, "You're starting to sound like me when I was purgatory."

"You escaped..."

"What makes you assume you can't," Hannibal asked, "What is it that you fear?"

Castiel averted his eyes away from him.

"Failing heaven," Castiel said.

"What happens when you have nothing left to give to heaven? I've seen this play out before in my own life. If you keep going down this path, you'll end up..."

"Dead?"

"Alone," Hannibal said, "You'll be left completely alone. As angry as I am with you, I don't wish to see you left in that state."

"Why are you telling me this," Castiel asked, getting defensive.

"Because although you view me as an abomination, I still view you as my friend," Hannibal said.

"Hannibal, what I said at the yard lot," Castiel said softly, "I had orders..."