Chapter 20

Angie's POV:

As I got back out from Halime's room to the harem I heard a familiar voice shouting:

- Validem!! Validem!!!

- Herman...

I went upstairs, to Handan's room to see some servant girls standing outside the room, looking shocked to death which scared me already while I also heard Herman's desperate crying from inside the room...

When I went in first I saw the shocked Mehmed and Cennett just standing there and turning to see what they're seeing I saw Herman kneeling with his mother in his arms as she was holding quite tightly onto his arms while moaning:

- I'm sorry... I'm sorry...

- Validem, what did you do?!

- Oh god... - I muttered under my breath as I went closer to them and kneeled down as well.

Judging by the look of the situation she very much likely decided to escape from this whole thing the worst way possible which is to kill herself with some type of poison.

- Call for help already!! Go!!! - Herman cried.

Meanwhile Humasah Sultan also came to see what's going on and was shocked by the scene.

She ran up to us, only to see Handan letting her last breath out.

By now my hands were shaking as Herman continued to cry desperately for help to Humasah this time...

- Help her! I'm begging you!! Somehow like you did to Zülfikar!!!

Humasah was checking Handan's now dead body and sighed painfully as she looked up at her nephew.

- Herman, enough... It's too late... - she muttered - There's nothing we can do...

I could see it was painful for her to say that, but what else she could do?

- No, no... This can't be happening to me... - he muttered in pain as he lurched out of the room, crying.

I was completely frozen by this.

I couldn't believe Handan killed herself.

How could this happen?!

And why am I still here?!

Herman needs me now...

As once I finally managed to stand up and walk out of the room...

- KÖSEM!!!

Hümasah Sultan's scream made me stop again.

- This was also the part of your plan, huh? - she hissed once when she got out to face me.

- What...

- You knew about her and Dervish! You knew he was a sinner too...

She paused.

- You got Dervish executed which caused Handan to do this! Are you happy now?!

She was pissed.

I haven't seen her like this before...

- I never wanted her to die - I told her, trying to stay as calm as possible.

- Liar...

- Think whatever you want... But excuse me now - I bowed and quickly walked away to go after Herman.

----- TIME SKIP -----

Finally...

Getting to Herman's room by now all I could hear was him crying outside the balcony.

You know... I've never been too close to Handan, mostly in the past couple of weeks so I'm not too touched by her death...

I'm rather shocked...

But...

Seeing Herman crying like this just broke me down as well.

- Herman...

I went to sit down beside him and pulled him into my arms, just letting him cry while I was also slowly breaking down into tears...

- Why... Why did she do that? How could she even think I'd be mad about that?! - he cried.

I'm guessing he's talking about the love between her and Dervish.

After all that was the reason behind this...

- It's my fault... It's all my fault...

- Ssshh... That's not true... - I whispered.

It's my fault...