Charlotte and Jack(Sean??)

Chapter 71-

"She'll be here in twenty minutes," I say from the kitchen. Mark's in his room, making himself look his absolute best. I work at our pesto pasta, boiling the noodles while the chicken finishes thawing. I figure this will be nice enough for Charlotte and it's pretty easy to make. I've made it for Mark and I many times. I make sure the noodles are going well and then turn my attention to the chicken and start to prep that and the pan that I'll grill it in. I compile all the spices and start to put them on the raw meat. Mark walks out of his room and I look up to see how he looks.

He's got on a nice sweater and jeans with no holes in them. The sweater is a darker grey but it's not dark or brooding seeming at all. The jeans make it look causal but still nice. He's got his hair styled somehow considering how long it's getting and not to mention how messy it sometimes is. He has on dark socks too, black ones to be exact.

"Why don't you go get ready while I watch the chicken?" he asks, coming into the kitchen.

"You sure you know what to do?"

"Yeah, I've seen you do many a time. This is one of my favorite things you make."

"You make me sound like a mom there..." I smile as I pat his shoulder condescendingly and go to my room. I already set aside my outfit, a cream coloured shirt, with a black faux leather jacket to go over it. I have a pair of dark wash jeans skinny jeans with no holes in them. I slip those on and then the shirt and jacket. I style my hair with my front hairs pulled back and clipped with a butterfly clip in the back, joining together. I put on some eyeliner and mascara, put on really neutral and natural foundation and then go back out to Mark. 

"Smells delicious," I smile. He looks up and grins.

"Doesn't it? Remember that we made pancakes back in Ohio?"

"Huh? Oh yeah, you flipped a pancake and then I tried and dropped it," I laugh.

"Good times. I wonder if Charlotte likes pancakes..."

"Probably, if not you'll have to end things with her," I say teasingly as I go to take over. 

"I'm not that shallow," he laughs nervously then goes to sit on the couch. I hold down the kitchen and peek out the window while Mark jiggles his foot on the couch. An Uber pulls up and Charlotte steps out and looks up at the house. She starts to walk really slowly, skeptically. Mark doesn't notice.

"Mark, she's here..." I say and he snaps his head towards me then runs outside. I follow suit. She dressed herself nicely, in a tight sweater, a purplish maroon actually. She has a necklace on, I can't tell what it is, but it falls right above where the sweater neckline cut is. She has a skirt on, a tighter one too. It's black and I can't see any designs to it. She has her hair straightened and it's really long. 

"Hi Charlotte," Mark says shyly and blushes. 

"Hi Mark. How have you been?" She asks him with a little smile. 

"Good, good. I missed you. I thought you'd never call..." 

"I'm so sorry...I feel awful but I wanted to but..."

"It's okay. You're here now. Why don't you come inside?" Mark smiles. They start to walk in and then she stops.

"I didn't say hi to you Kiera! I'm so sorry," she laughs and smiles.

"It's fine, good to see you again," I say and we go in for a friendly hug. Mark and I show her in.

"Wow, you're home is beautiful. It's really fancy..." She admires. 

"Thank you. Come on into the living room," Mark shows her to the couch.

"I need to finish up with dinner so why don't you two crazy kids sit and chat. Oh! Mark, give her a tour of the house!" I suggest.