Wind and Rain

Chapter 46-

I speed home, going over the speed limit several times, so that I can get to Mark as soon as I possibly can. My head is rushing and I play some music so that I can have something to focus on. I'm tired, but I press on. I finally cross into Ohio state boundaries and get more and more excited to see Mark.

Finally, I get into Cincinatti and I drive going the correct speed limit. When I finally get to the street Mark and I live on, my car starts to slow down. Dammit, outa gas. I sigh and start to walk. I'm only a few blocks away, so I trudge home. Cold winds blow and I shiver. It wasn't this cold earlier. I look down at my T-Shirt and capris. I shiver and wrap my arms around myself, the wind blowing me to a chill.

I finally get to the house. I walk up the yard and knock on the front door. Silence, silence for a very long time. I stand outside, shaking cold, impatient for Mark...

MARK-

I lie on my bed, tired and depressed. Kiera's not coming back. I just need to move on. I wonder if she'll ever get her stuff. Or if she's even seen the video. I cry for the millionth time today, but am out of tears at this point. I wipe my dry face and then sit up. I hear a faint knock on the door, but shake it out of my head. I'm so tired, I'm hallucinating. I lie back down and try to fall asleep. I hear the wind outside, blowing hard. It must be really cold. I pull my blankets around me more and fall asleep.

KIERA-

I've been standing outside for almost three hours. I've knocked on all the windows, even some of the sides of the house. It's just getting more and more cold. I give up and sit down outside the front door, and try to keep myself warm.

Hours pass and I just get colder and colder. I can't feel my fingers and I'm shaking constantly now. I make a few more tries at knocking on the door. Nothing. Maybe Mark's gone, at Wade's or something. Maybe he's out drinking and crashed somewhere. I sigh and keep sitting.

MARK-

I am woken up by knocking again. God, this house is either falling apart or some animal doesn't get that humans don't take them in. I hear more knocking at the door and I sigh and let it go on. I fall back asleep, no more disturbances.

I wake up the next morning and slowly make my way to the kitchen. It's like mid-day and its raining outside. I search for some food and find a Pop Tart. I sit on the couch, silently. I have no real interest in eating, but it's something to do. The silence gets to me and I get up to turn on the TV when I see out the window, the front door. But it's who's infront for the door that excites me.

I swing it open and scoop Kiera up. She's icy cold and soaking wet. I bring her inside and wrap her up in my bed and stroke her face. She's okay, she came back. I wonder if she did see my video.

"Kiera..." I whisper. No answer.

"Kiera..." I whisper again. No answer. I start to panic. Is she...okay?

"Kiera, Kiera love, are you alright?" I say, louder. She stays still and I stroke her hair soothingly. She's still icy and wet. I lay next to her and pull her close, trying to warm her up. After almost three hours, she's starting to get warm. I feel her twitch and I bolt up.

"Kiera!" I shot. She slowly opens her eyes, and smiles.

"Mark...I'm...I'm."

"Yes, you're here. How do you feel?"

"Cold, and kinda wet."

"Yeah, you were outside for a long time. I'm sorry, you must have been outside all night in the wind and rain. I thought that you knocking was the weather."

"It's alright. Mark, I saw the video..."

"Oh, you did. Yeah.."

"I get it. You just wanted me to be happy. So you tried in you best way to tell me, but I over reacted. I'm so sorry."

"Hey, it's okay. You're okay, that all that I care about. You and your safety and happiness."

"Thanks, Mark."

"Anytime, Kiera," I smile and kiss her forehead. We stay in the bed for a long time. Just happy to be back together.

"But seriously, Kiera," I start ,"If you aren't happy with me, and you want to be someone else, I won't be upset. I just want you to be happy."

To skip over the long converstation we had, Kiera and I are no longer a couple. We want to be with other people for a while, just to see how things go. Who knows, maybe we'll end up together again in the future, but where ever she ends up, and with whomever, I'm okay with. As long as she's happy, I'm happy.