Part 20!

(F/N) = Friend's name

-----x-----

You're out at a little, unknown cafe at the corner of (F/N)'s street. This cafe is quite a peculiar place to grab a bite and, on more than one occasion, people dodge it because there is no name on the storefront, deeming it suspicious and dodgy. If you were to take the time to walk inside and speak to the little woman who runs it, you'd discover the cafe is called Rosemary, named after the lady's grandmother. Rosemary is small and only opened up recently but it's interior is adorable and you can't help feeling relaxed at it's homey atmosphere and feel safe as the warmth surrounds you.

"Remember," You say, staring into (F/N)'s eyes, "It's a secret. You can't tell anybody."

"Okay," (F/N) puts her/his hands in the air, "I won't tell a soul!" Something told you that this was a fake promise.

"He is really shook up by the whole experience," you sternly say as you make sure (F/N) knows you're dead serious, "He would be mortified if he found out anyone else knows that he's a ghoul. He's been so caught up in the experience that he's forgotten that you know."

"Sounds really..." (F/N) tries to find the correct word as they flail their arms about to make their imagination begin to flow, "traumatising."

"It is, especially after that run in with the other ghoul," you take a big breath, "for both of us." You want to break down but fight back every idea of doing so. (F/N) puts their hand on yours to comfort you as they could tell what you were thinking. It works but only slightly.

Thoughts begin to race through your mind and it begins to feel quite cliché. Terrible thoughts about your brother loom around you and cloud your peripheral vision. You wonder how you will be able to live the rest of your life holding a secret that you keep trying to swallow but you know it'll be dislodged from your throat in some way or another. The secret keeps choking you, clogging up your throat like a blocked drainpipe.

You feel like your going to break down faster than a cheap car with a rusty engine even through (F/N)'s desperate attempts to drown out your terrible thoughts. How can you stay sane with the thought that your brother is the same creature as that ghoul you keep running into? Will Kaneki really turn into something like that? Surely not.

But you can't really confirm that.