Part 28!

You take a deep breath and start to walk over to the door. Someone's pounding on it with their fist, making the door shake and creating a loud, irritating noise that echoes throughout the whole house. With the force being exerted on the cheap piece of wood you bought from Tokyu Hands you bought when you first moved in, you were sure it was going to break, yet it still held.  It's a miracle.

(Not a promotion of Tokyu Hands)

You place your hand on the doorknob and start to turn it, slowly. The pounding stops and your breathing hitches. Kaneki is behind you now, as aware as you are.

The 'click' of the door handle signals that the door is open and you carefully pull it open. You take a step back, ready to run if the visitor is foul, but you open the door to reveal a face you knew very well. His face was twisted into a worried expression which did not fade even after you and he saw each other.

The one, the only, Hide...

Is he here for Kaneki? You think to yourself.

Suddenly, and unexpectedly, his face breaks as tears roll down his face uncontrollably and he runs towards you, flinging his arms around you. He seriously couldn't make you anymore uncomfortable, could he?

I bet Kaneki put him up to this to make me feel bad about sending him home the other day, you think. Smart, and ruthless.

"(Y/N)!" he shouts through his relieved tears, as you lift your arms up away from him.

"Hide!" Kaneki exclaims, no regret in his voice from ignoring Hide for ages, "What are you doing here?"

"I heard (Y/N) got attacked!" Hide says, looking you straight in the eyes. He's trying to find something that says you're alright, but there's nothing in you're eyes - you're soulless.

You mumble, "That's stretching the truth a little but-"

"I was so worried about you!" He hugs you tighter, almost enough to crush you.

Are you Kaneki's best friend or mine? You think to yourself, knowing it would be quite rude to say that aloud. But you should... you are soulless, after all.

"Don't worry I'm-" You pause for a split second before saying something through gritted teeth "-fully recovered."

"That's good," Hide says as he loosens his grip around you, "I rushed over here as soon as I heard the news but you were still in the hospital." His face goes serious for a moment but then he returns to his perky self. I guess it's cute that he's so concerned about me.

"Hide," Kaneki speaks up to rescue you from feeling uncomfortable, "would you like some tea? Maybe coffee?"

"Oh, I'd love some!" Hide chirps as he follows Kaneki into the kitchen.

You sit on the chair, holding a cup of tea which gradually grows colder every hour, listening to Kaneki and Hide talk on and on about various subjects.

'Fangirling'. That's what Kaneki said Tsukyama was doing, right? You don't really ponder on what the definition of 'fangirling' is. It seems awkward, especially fangirling over someone's blood. Is it because the blood type could be rare, but even that's weird. He's a vampire, case closed.

Even as you think over and over again about the fangirling predicament, Kaneki and Hide continue to take no notice of you and continue to talk about topics you couldn't care less about. You just let them be - its been a while since they caught up with each other.

It must be nice having a friend who cares about you so much.

---x---

Here's a link to the Urban Dictionary definition of the term 'fangirling' in case you were curious about what it actually means. You're welcome! :) -Yu-Na

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Fangirling