Part 57!

You sit uncomfortably at the table with Hide and Kaneki. Well, you're not the most uncomfortable one. Hide keeps looking at you and then looking away as soon as you make eye contact.

What is wrong with him?

"So," you say as you try to start up a friendly conversation to extract the awkwardness from the air, "how is school?"

"Good," Hide blurts out.

You raise your eyebrows but stop as you realise that it could be quite rude. "That's nice," you say as you take a bite of your dinner.

"It is, (Y/N)."

You think to yourself about how strange he is acting. Never in your whole life had you seen such strange behaviour apart from your first year of school when a boy said he had a crush on you.

He was... heartbroken to say the least.

It is pretty normal at the table but Hide still seems quite cold. When the time arrives for Hide to leave you accompany him to the front door.

"Thank you for cooking for me," Hide says, "Uhh, (Y/N), can I have a word alone?"

You shoo Kaneki inside and wait for Hide to start talking. "Thank you, (Y/N)."

You give him a polite smile as turn to leave but Hide grabs your arm and gives you a small tug.

You loose your footing and fall but he catches you, helps you upright and gives you a kiss on the cheek. You stare at him with your mouth slightly open as he leaves into the night.