Chapter 37. Safe Harbor

Once again Draco woke up to the sound of his father's footsteps, except he was no longer stuck in a dark basement cell. He was in his room under the covers. His father had placed him there after he was abusive, using multiple spells to make the healing process of his injuries faster. Lucius did not want anybody to figure out what he had done to his son, and, deep down, Draco never wanted Harry to know either. He was too broken to let anybody know about his dark secret.

"You need to leave. You will be late for school if not!" Lucius said smiling. The smile made Draco's heart clench out of pure disgust. The blond man truly believed he had convinced his son to no longer be with the other young wizard. Draco got out of bed and put all of his clothes rapidly. He tried to not think about the events that happened the previous night, trying to keep his mind completely blank, but it was very difficult- trying to think about nothing. Once he finished preparing himself, he quickly made his way to Hogwarts.

By the time Draco had gotten to school, he had already missed the first five minutes of Defence Against The Dark Arts class. So, he decided to go to the dungeons instead. Either way, he was not in the mindset to pretend like everything was okay- like he was okay. On his way to the dungeons he passed beside the spot that had changed his life forever, the spot that made him feel alive again, but now all he could see there was darkness. He was scared that his father had abused him so badly that he would never be able to look at Potter or let his emotions show again, but it did not take long for this doubt to be proven wrong.

"D-Draco?" Harry's voice shook with tears in his eyes. "Where were you?" But Draco could not even say a word, it was as if everything in the world was stopping him from speaking, from letting him have his happily ever after. "I-I know you; something is wrong," the raven-haired boy uttered sadly as he approached the boy who made his heart flutter so intensely. Harry, at the moment, had realized the fogginess of Draco's eyes.

"H-Hold m-me," Draco begged and cried without control over his own voice. He was but a boy who never had a childhood, but a boy who needed love. "H-Hold me..." he begged again. Harry came close the Slytherin and wrapped his arms around his waist and tightened them drastically. He made sure to hold him tight enough for Draco to know, to know that he was protected and safe. Draco let tears fall down his face, watering the tops of Harry's chest and neck. Their embrace was short, but it was enough, more than enough, to make Draco feel free again, like a bird out of a cage. The sailor had once again found safe harbour. Harry kissed the top of Draco's head with his soft lips and walked away as he heard students coming their way.

It was unexplainable- the way, the way they loved. They had never loved someone like that before, and that is why words were but a tragedy, for it could not be told through language. It was like an unread book. It longed touch and humanity, but it never got it, until one day it did, and it knew, it knew that nothing could ever make it happier but their fingers resting against theirs, and their smiles forming because of it. That is the way they felt about each other, that nothing and no one could ever make them happier.