Chapter 47. Draco Lucius Malfoy

"Okay. Come up to the stand Mister Malfoy." the judge said. Draco walked up carefully and looked around him as he took the clear glass in his hands. His fingers began to shake without control. His brain was still so scared of the potion he could not remember consuming. He looked at the liquid one last time and drank it quickly. Everyone once again waited as a slow and dreadful fifteen minutes passed. Harry could barley keep his heart from lunging out of his chest. "Please state your full name."

"Draco Lucius Malfoy."

"What house are you in?"

"I was in Slytherin."

"Was? You do not have the intentions of returning for your last year at Hogwarts to finish your examinations?"

"No," Draco said slightly sad as Harry listened.

"Why is that?"

"Everybody hates me."

"Why is that Mister Malfoy?" the judge asked as Draco thought but could not come up with an answer.

"I do not know."

"You have the Dark Mark as we saw?"

"Yes." The blond started to play with his sleeve.

"Was it by choice?" the man demanded but Draco began holding his head and shouting. His brain could not form a clear answer. The serum was trying to uphold a truth that it could not find. Lucius sat in the stands and did not move an inch. He knew what was happening but remained silent. As for Harry, on the other hand, was so confused and worried about his long lost love. "Mister Malfoy? I need an answer. Was it by choice?" the judge demanded once more, but Draco began going even crazier. He fell to his knees.

"I choose to have it," the boy screamed through tears as Lucius smiled in the stands.

"THAT COULD NOT BE!" Harry yelled as he walked to the middle of the room. "HE WOULD NEVER CHOOSE THIS!"

"Mister Potter, may you please return to the stands!" the judge snapped angrily.

"CAN NOT YOU SEE HE WAS CONTROLLED SOMEHOW! HE IS SHOUTING IN PAIN! THE SERUM PERCEIVES WHAT HE IS SAYING AS A LIE!" Potter yelled.

"Mister Malfoy, is what Mister Potter saying correct?" the man questioned, but Draco did not stop yelling. Narcissa and Harry kept exchanging looks but could not exactly understand what was happening. "Mister Malfoy?" The judge was becoming very impatient.

"Mister Harry Potter is right!" a man sitting in the stands from the Ministry said as he looked through a book that was sitting on his lap. "It says that people who take Veritaserum but have been influenced or controlled can go through an excruciating amount of pain because they do not know the truth, but the serum still tries to find one. Therefore, Mister Malfoy has been tampered with. His mind is trying to find a solution even if he truly does not know the answer!"

"Yes, but if he does not know the answer than he would not be in pain. It is only when you know the truth and you lie do you experience pain." the judge declared.

"His brain does know the answer, but he has been manipulated so much that he does not think he does." The man reading the passage looked at Harry who had began shaking uncontrollably. Harry had finally completely understood what happened to his lover. Lucius had controlled him. He could feel the fury rise within him.

"Is there anything we can do?"

"Yes, but the counter curse will cause him even more pain."

"You may proceed," the judge stated.

"WHY SHOULD HE SUFFER BECAUSE HIS OWN FATHER BRAINWASHED HIM?" the raven-haired boy screamed.

"It is the only way to uphold the truth, Mister Potter!" the judge said as the man in the stands took out his wand and said many words in Latin. Draco fell to the ground screaming and crying. His painful screams even made the judge tear. "Mister Malfoy-- was it by choice that you decided to have the Dark Mark?"

"No..." Draco said as he cried more and more.

"Okay, thank you for you truthfulness. Further questioning will take place tomorrow morning for Mister Lucius and Draco Malfoy. Please send both of them to the prisons in the basement. Mister Lucius to the restricted section and Mister Draco to the holding cells. Thank you. Court dismissed."