#186 A summers day

Your POV

The school summer holidays started last week, so our 5 year old son, Ethan has no school for the next 5 weeks.

I was currently sat at our outdoor table with our 8 month old daughter, Aaliyah, on my lap. Maura was also here to spend some time with Ethan and Aaliyah and to catch up.
She was sat on the table next to me.
Niall and Ethan were playing football together on the large patch of grass In the garden.

Ethan was wearing some blue shorts shorts and a white t shirt. Niall was wearing some beige shorts and a blue and white stripy t shirt with his sunglasses. Aaliyah was wearing a pink summer dress. (Outfits above)

***

"Who's winning?" I asked Niall and Ethan.
"Me cos dad's old!" Ethan said.
I chuckled.
"I'm not old! I'm only 26!" Niall said.
"That's old!" Ethan said as he kicked the ball back to Niall.
Ethan Amy only be 5 but he acts a lot older.

"How's she been?" Maura asked gesturing to Aaliyah who was playing with a rattle while on my lap,she was sick last week for a few days.
"She seems fine now, back to her normal self" I said and Maura nodded.
"Has Ethan been driving you mad since he's not been at school?" She asked.
"Surprisingly no, he's not been that and but that's probably because he's always been occupied, hes always been doing something wether that's movie days together or playing football with Niall" I said.

Aaliyah started babbling to herself in words no one could understand.
Niall and Ethan came to the table and sat down.
Niall sat next to me and Ethan sat across from us taking a sip of his drink.

"Coming to daddy?" Niall asked holding his hands out to Aaliyah.
She giggled and put her arms towards him.
I passed Aaliyah to him and he stood her up on his lap so she was facing him.
"How's my little princess today!" Niall said in a baby voice kissing her face.
She giggled at him and kissed his lips.

"Mummy" Ethan said.
"Yeah sweetie?" I asked.
"Where do babies come from? How did Aaliyah start growing inside your tummy?" He asked.
I didn't know what to say to him but Niall spoke up.
"You'll learn all about that in school when you're older" Niall told him and he nodded.

***

Maura had just left and it was currently 3pm.
It was still warm and sunny so we were still outside.
Ethan was kicking the ball against the fence and Niall was next to me with Aaliyah on his lap.

"Say dada, da-da" Niall said to Aaliyah. Aaliyah looked at him co fused.
"Niall, she's 8 months old, she's not going to talk yet" I said.
"Learning her early!" He said and I rolled my eyes playfully.
"What was my first word?" Ethan asked.
"Your first word was a swear word, which we won't be repeating" Niall said looking at Ethan.
Ethan laughed.

Niall's till had Aaliyah stood on his lap facing him. She suddenly started crying loudly.
"What's wrong baby? Niall cooed in a baby voice. He brought her to his chest, wrapping his arms around her.
"Ill go give her something to eat" Niall's aid and I nodded as he took Aaliyah inside.

"Mum? Did I cry a lot as a baby?" Ethan asked.
"You mainly just cried when you were tired or needed something, Aaliyah cries a lot more than you did when you were her age" I told him.
"Why do babies even cry and why do they get all the attention?" He asked.
"Babies cry because they can't tell us what they want, so they'll cry. And they need lots of attention because they can't do anything themselves" I explained.
"So when I was a baby, I could do anything myself?" He asked.
"Not really, but as you get older, you learn. For example, when you're around 1 you will start to walk and talk" I told him.