A new face

Jessica sat alone at her table watching Sam and Megan on the dance floor.  Autumn ran between them and hugged Sam's legs.

Jessica's heart hurt so badly.  They looked like a little family.
Then Jessica's mind started going.  What if Autumn would rather spend time with them than with Jessica?  What if she liked the feeling of being in a house with two parents instead of just one?  Jessica wouldn't know what to do if Autumn didn't want to be with her.

That's when she decided to leave.
She waited for the song to finish before walking over and kneeling down in front of Autumn.

"It's time to go, baby love."

"Oh no, mommy! I wanna stay! Let me stay and dance with daddy and Megan!" She whines.

Sam smiles and picked her up.
"Your mommy's right, Auttie. It's getting late and you need your beauty sleep."

"But daddy!" She whines.

"Don't get upset, princess." Sam kisses her and she wraps her little arms around his neck.

"I love you, daddy!"

"I love you more, princess!"

"I love you, Megan!"

"I love you too, baby!"

Jessica forced a smile before taking Autumn.

"Thank you so much for coming, Jess. It means the world to me." Sam smiles, then hugs her.

"Oh of course, Sam!" She then pulls away and smiles at Megan.

She takes a deep breath before hugging her. "Welcome to our little family! Heh! I mean because, now you're kind of related to Autumn and I'm--I'm her mother.. and.." Jessica sighs. "I should go now. Congratulations again!"

***

Time went on and the pain of losing Sam still has not left Jessica. It's now been about eight months since the wedding. Although Jessica doesn't show it, it still hurts her every single day.

October 14th 2012.

"I will see you later, baby girl. Remember, grandma Dottie is picking you up from school today."

"I know that, mommy!" Autumn giggles. "You told me last night, silly!"

"Okay, okay, I'm sorry." Jessica laughs.

"Have a good day, precious."

"You too, mommy. Do good at work!"

"I will, baby." Jessica smiles.

**

After dropping Autumn off at school, Jessica went straight to work.
Jessica worked as a receptionist in a doctors office. She really loved her job as well as the people she worked with and the patients.

Just as Jessica opened the small sliding doors, she was met face to face with a tall, handsome man.

"Oh!" Jessica giggles. "Good  morning!"

"Good morning." The man smiles.

Jessica looked at the man before taking the sign in clipboard.
She scanned the list of names then looked back to the tall man.

"My name is Daniel.. Daniel Huston."

"Yeah, I just read that." Jessica giggles, pointing to his name.

Daniel chuckled. "What's your name?"

"Jessica.. Jessica Lange."

Danny reaches out and shakes her hand. "It's very nice to meet you Ms. Lange."

"Just call me Jessica, Ms. Lange sounds like my mother!"

"Heh!  No problem.. Jessica." The man gave her a smile before walking to find a seat.

After Daniel was gone, Jessica stayed there frozen.

Kate, a woman Jessica worked with, came up to Jessica and shook her arm.

"You okay?"

"Hm?  Oh yeah!  Sorry!" Jessica giggles.

**

Soon Daniel was called to the back, each time passing, he gave a look to Jessica that made him insides feel strange.

"That Huston guy is making eyes as you, Jess!"

"Oh stop!  He is not!" Jessica laughs.

"Yes he is!  I say go for it, Jess."

Jessica rolls her eyes and continues working.

Before leaving, Danny came up to the front desk to pay whatever was needed.

"Alright, that's it!  You have a lovely day, Mr. Huston." Jessica said with a warm smile.

"Thank you, oh and call me Danny.  Mr. Huston sounds like my father." Danny winks.

Jessica smiles, feeling herself melting into the chair as looked at him.

***
I hope you guys are enjoying this story. I have lots of plans for upcoming chapters!