The baby

One month later.

Since moving in, Jessica has done her best to make the apartment feel like home to the girls.
Autumn still is not the biggest fan, but she's getting better!

This week Jessica has been feeling a bit off.
She's felt like this a couple times before so she was beginning to worry.

That morning was just like every morning.
She woke up bright and early with the baby, fed her, then began preparing breakfast for Danny before he left for work.

"Yum!  Smells good, honey!"

"Thanks!  It's all ready, so just enjoy." She smiles tiredly. "I'm gonna take a shower.  Will you watch her?"

"I'd love to baby but I've gotta eat and run.  I'm sorry!"

"It's okay.  You'll just come with mommy, Juju." Jessica bounces her on her hip.

"Why don't you just let her play with her toys in the room while you shower?"

"No, she might get into something and hurt herself!  I'll just keep her with me."

"Alright." Danny shrugs.

The morning went on pretty smoothly after that.
Danny left, Autumn woke up, and Jessica went straight back to the kitchen.  She cleaned up Danny's mess and started on breakfast for she and Autumn.

As Jessica ate she began to feel her food coming back up.

"Excuse me, honey!  Watch your sister, okay?"

"Yes ma'am." She says as Jessica zooms out of the kitchen.

Jessica threw up everything in her stomach.  As she did, she cried and softly said, "There's no way, there's no way!"

"Mommy?" Autumn knocks on the door.

Jessica tried to sound as normal as possible when she spoke. "Honey, I thought you were going to keep an eye on your sister."

"I am, but I heard you and wanted to make sure you were okay."

"Aw, thank you, baby.. I-I'm alright." She says that last part in a shaky voice.

"Okay.. do you need to go to the doctor?"

"No baby, I think I'll be okay.  Thank you, love."

"Your welcome!"

Jessica sighed and dropped her head as she heard Autumn skip away.

"If you are in there.. I love you more than anything in the world.. I just wish you'd come when mommy isn't so stressed." Jessica softly rubs her stomach.

**

Danny called around lunchtime to see how things were going.

"Hey squishy!  What are you three up to?"

"Nothing much, I took the girls grocery shopping.  That's about it.. Hey Danny?"

"Yeah?"

"I need you to pick me up something from the store when you get off of work."

"Sure, what do you need?"

"Well um.. I need uhhh.."

"Baby? What is it?"

"A pregnancy test.."

"A what?  A pregnancy test?!"

"Yes...."

"Honey, do you think you are?  This is great!"

"I honestly don't know!  I feel so sick, I've already thrown up this morning.  Danny, we don't have the space for another baby right now!  We don't have the money either.. I'm so scared!" Jessica says as she chokes up.

"It'll be okay, Jess.  Don't freak out."

"I have a good reason to freak out, Daniel!"

"Jessica, you'll be fine."

Jessica sighs and says, "Just please don't forget it."

"I won't.  I'll see you later."

"Alright.  Bye."

**

That evening.

After eating the dinner Jessica prepared for them, she cleaned everything up. She then went into the living room where Danny and the girls sat watching tv.

"Honey?"

"Yeah, baby?"

"I'm gonna.."

"Oh! I'm coming! I'll be right back, Autumn."

"Hurry, it's almost the best part!"

"I'll hurry, pretty girl."
Danny stands up with the baby in his arms and follows Jessica to the bedroom.

He then sat on the bed and waited for Jessica.
Jessica sighed and stopped in front of the restroom door.

"I'm so scared."

"Why? We planned on having more kids anyway, right?"

"Yeah.. But the money."

"Baby, that's why we moved out here!"

"But we're still struggling. This place isn't for a family of five, Danny."

"We'll be fine." Danny says with zero emotion.

Jessica takes a deep breath in and purses her lips before entering the bathroom.

**

Jessica sat there staring at the test in her hands.
Her heart beating faster and faster. Her palms sweaty and a lump in her throat.

Finally, a result.

Jessica gasped and ran to the bedroom.
Danny looked up and she smiled wide.

"It's negative!"

"It is? But you were sick." He tilts his head.

"Must just be a bug." She giggles.

"Oh.. well I guess you're not gonna be a big sister just yet, Juju." Danny kisses her chubby cheek.

Julia fusses and digs her little nails into his cheek.

"Ouch! She does not like me, Jess! Hopefully the next one does." He says handing her to Jessica.

Jessica chuckles softly and holds the baby in her arms.

Autumn holds Jessica's face in her tiny hands as she squeals with excitement.

"You're so happy you're gonna stay the baby, aren't you, sunshine?" She smiles.

Julia giggles and lays on her mother's shoulder.

"Such a sweet sweet baby.." Jessica softly rocks her back and forth as she rubs her back.