80- Carly

The sun seeped into my eyes, and the sounds of the TV played softly in the distance. We must have passed out last night. I opened my eyes slowly taking in the unfamiliar surroundings Scott's bedroom overwhelmed me with the scent of his cologne. He was still passed out, laying on his back snoring. Such a funny quirk.

After we held each-other for many moments to long; We went back to Scott's house. Hours were spent watching random episodes of friends on Netflix as we laughed and giggled remembering all the crazy shit that we have been through these last couple years. He really was the best friend that anyone could ask for-- every girl in their life needs a bestfreind that they can always count on. That one friend who no matter how many mistakes you make or months go by without words and they are always right there ready to continue were you left off.

We talked about absolutely everything. How my grandma's death effected me-- My mom being admitted for a few weeks. My dad having an affair... My own affair. Mental illness ran in my family, but it wasn't an excuse for all the horrible things we had done to each other. Our once picture perfect family was burning away behind the scenes.

My feet hit the cement sidewalk, the dance studios neon sign glowed in front of me. Taunting me of childhood memories. I sucked in a deep breath swallowing the last of my pride. I pushed open the heavy steel door revealing tons of children in pink and white leotards and body suits. Madeline moved so swiftly showing the girls how to do a Arabesque. But truthfully ballet was never Madeline's strong suit. Don't get me wrong she is a beyond amazing dancer, but the way she could move without ballet slippers would always triumph. The way she could freestyle a lyrical dance could leave anyone breathless.

"Georgia! Straighten your back and reposition those arms. The arabesque is classy not trashy," Madeline instructed, her French accent strong and brisk.

I watched silently in the background, taking in the smell and the sound of the dance studio. It was oddly comforting. The one thing in my life that hasn't changed, the same shoe marks, the same music, the same paint on the walls. It was all still innocent, it held the deepest parts of my childhood untouched and still pure. Maybe this was the start to something good.

"Ah, Callie! My star pupil, it's been ages," Madeline called out, above the classical music, "Stephanie take over."

Madeline walked forward through the crowd of young girls, glossy pink lips flashing a cheeky smirk. Her fiery red hair sloppily placed in a sock bun on the top of her head. Another attribute to Madeline, she was just a regular human who loved her sleep, and when it came to ballet it wasn't her forte. "Hello, Madame Madeline. Prestigious as ever," I joked.

"Says the one who looks like," She paused looking me up and down, "Well like that."

"And here I was thinking I looked like the princess of the ball, it's really nice to see you," I replied softly, sadness involuntarily seeping into my voice.

"It really has been ages, I'm surprised you went so long without stopping in. What do I owe the pleasure," She smiled happily, her French accent was so elegant.

"Uh, my mom mentioned you have a part-time job available. I'm still in school 4 days a week, but I would really love to be back in the studio again."

"Oui oui, I would love for you to come and work in the studio. You can take over these damn ballet classes," She let out a snicker, "Can you come in tomorrow? I have a 4pm ballet class, and a 6pm lyrical if you'd be interested."

My heart dropped.

"Madeline, I would really love to come in tomorrow but uhm-," I froze for a minute trying to think of the words, "I'm on bed-rest for 2 weeks."

"Ah, mi amor what's wrong?" She questioned softly.

I bite my lip nervously, looking down at the floor.

"I was pregnant," Emphasis on was.

"Oh my darling child come here," she cooed, engulfing me in her arms, "Of course, take all the time you need. Noah was my rainbow baby after many years of trying to conceive, if you ever need anything I am always right here. I've always thought of you like a daughter Carly. My heart really aches for you," her accent cooed in my ear, true sadness ached in her voice.

Tears welled in my eyes. I allowed myself to sink into her embrace, my whole world drifting away. It was soothing to have someone who seemed to understand and say all the right things. Someone who really got it you know, everyone else just treated me like I was a bomb that could go off at any moment.

"I've missed you so much, I promise to stick around more."

She pulled away from the hug, a big smile on her lips, "I'd love that."