Chapter 20: Field Trip

After the dance had ended, Hawk had seen Ruby walking beside Ironwood. They told him about an intruder that infiltrated the communications tower during the dance. The next morning, Hawk and Ruby were called to Ozpin's office. Hawk walked beside Ruby, who was fidgeting with her hands nervously. Hawk placed a hand on her shoulder, giving her a confident smile.

Hawk: "Ruby, relax. You did a great job last night. And I'll be right beside you for support."

Ruby: "I'm just surprised you got called too. What do you think your father wants to talk about with you?"

Hawk: "With him, could be anything really. Guess we will find out."

The two walked into the elevator and Hawk pressed the top button for Ozpin's office. Ruby pouted quietly and muttered.

Ruby: "I wanna push the button."

Hawk raised an eyebrow at her as the doors closed and started moving up. Ruby kept fidgeting before finally she reached over and started pushing every button, causing the elevator to instantly stop at the closest floor.

Hawk: "Ruby what have you done?!"

Ruby: "Uh oh. Guess I went overboard didn't I?"

Ruby playfully stuck her tongue out and lightly bopped herself on the head. Hawk watched in horror as the elevator stopped on the next floor, and the next one, and then the next one.

Hawk: "This. Is. Torture!!"

Hawk dropped to his knees in internal pain as the elevator continued to stop on every floor. Ruby giggled quietly as she watched the indicator above the doors, as the number slowly moved upwards.

Finally, after what felt like forever, the elevator finally reached the top floor: Ozpin's office.

Hawk: "Ruby. Please, never do that again!"

Ruby: "Aww, but I liked pushing the buttons."

Hawk rolled his eyes and didn't bother with a response to Ruby. Ozpin's voice called through the door for them to come in.

The elevator door opened, showing Ozpin at his desk. With him was Professor Goodwitch, who was standing beside his chair, and general Ironwood who was standing in front of the desk.

Ruby: "Sorry it took so long. Someone accidentally hit all the buttons on the elevator on the way up here. It wasn't me."

Hawk gave her a look at that last part.

Hawk: "Oh, like it was someone else besides the two of us?"

Ruby sheepishly giggled.

Ozpin: "Thank you for coming, Ruby. How are you feeling?"

Ruby: "Okay, I guess. I'd feel better if my bad-guy-catching record wasn't O-for-three."

Everyone stares silently at her, making Ruby feel more awkward. She quickly looked down sighing.

Ruby: "Okay, so that's the tone we're going for, got it."

Ironwood: "Ruby, I feel it's appropriate to let you know that I think what you did last night is exactly what being a Huntress is all about. You recognized a threat. You took action. And you did the very best you could."

Ruby: "Thank you, sir."

Hawk: "So, why am I here? I was in the party the whole night and didn't see the intruder."

Ozpin: "That will come later Hawk. Now, the general here has already informed us of the events that... transpired last night, but now that you've rested, we were wondering if you had anything to add."