Chapter 44: Known by its Song

Hawk strolled over to Weiss' cage in the morning, carrying two cups of coffee. Throughout the night, Weiss had her summoned mini-knight chipping away at the bars. Hawk had tried to find the key to her cell, but no luck. And Weiss refused to let him use his semblance to break her out, to keep him from suffering repercussions to her escape. Weiss also didn't like the idea of being sent back to her father, so the two had agreed to save Raven's offer for a last resort.

When Hawk arrived at her cage, Weiss was sitting there with blankets wrapped around her. She instantly perked up when Hawk kneeled down in front of her.

Weiss: "Cream and two sugars?"

Hawk: "Naturally. You actually think I'd forget how you take your coffee?"

Weiss smirked as she took her cup, sipping it down slowly.

Hawk: "So, how's the plan coming?"

Weiss: "The bars are thicker than I thought. But we should be able to cut through by tonight as long as we aren't interrupted."

Hawk glanced over when he saw people start shuffling around, and grabbing some weapons. Weiss looked worried but Hawk motioned for her to stay put. He walked out and stopped a bandit who was about to leave.

Hawk: "What's happening?"

Bandit: "Jack just ran in, yelling for help with a robbery. You want in?"

Hawk: "No. I'm on guard duty. Go ahead."

The bandit nodded and ran out of camp, following after the small group. Hawk had a suspicion that he meant Yang, which could be helpful. Hawk had started walking back to Weiss when the sounds of gunshots started going off. Other bandits in camp grabbed weapons and prepared themselves for an attack. Hawk smirked as he walked to Raven's tent. He knocked on the support beam.

Hawk: "She's here. Better get ready."

Hawk then sat down beside the entrance of the tent, and waited. Soon enough, the entrance of the camp opened and Yang walked in. She was being escorted by eight bandits who were covered in bruises, and some even had a limp. Hawk watched as they approached, and Yang shot a glare at him. Hawk stood to his feet as the group stopped. That's when Raven pulled away the opening of her tent and walked out to greet Yang.

Yang: "Mom."

Raven removed her helmet, having a proud smile on her face as she set it down to the side.

Raven: "Yang. So, after all this time you finally decided to visit me."

Hawk stayed silent, but was worried when he noticed how Yang's left hand started to shake, but she grabbed it to calm it down as she kept her focus on Raven.

Yang: "You know that I searched for you. I spent years looking for you."

Raven: "And you've found me. You were patient, determined, and strong enough to make your dream a reality. Well done, Yang. But did you have to be so rough with my men?"

Yang: "I didn't want a fight. They started it."

Raven: "Well, you certainly finished it."

Hawk chuckled quietly as a brief silence rose between the two. Raven placed her hands to her hip as she broke the silence.

Raven: "Right. I'm sure this is all very overwhelming. But I must admit that you've proven yourself. So any questions you have I'll be happy to answer. You can stay with us tonight. I'll even have the cooks whip up something for you."

Yang: "That's not why I am here."

Raven: "What was that?"

Yang: "I'm not here for you. Ruby is somewhere in Mistral. She's with Qrow, and she's going to need my help. I just need you to take me to her. And I need you to help me find Hawk."