Chapter 75: As Above, So Below

Camilla: "General, since the day you were appointed Headmaster, there have been Atlesians who are skeptical of one man holding two Council seats."

Ironwood nodded in acknowledgment, knowing about the doubt that surrounded his position. Winter and Penny had returned to the dining room and were now standing on each side of the door behind the general's chair.

Ironwood: "Yes, which is exactly why we have checks and balances."

Sleet: "We're supposed to, but lately you've been running roughshod all over them, making unilateral decisions without us."

Ironwood: "Councilman, I never intended-"

Sleet leaned forward in his chair, giving a warning look at the general as he cut him off.

Sleet: "What people intend and what they do aren't always the same, general."

At that moment, the rabbit Faunus waiter had quickly walked into the room from the kitchen door. He leaned down and began to whisper into Jacques' ear, catching his attention. Jacques' eyes widened in shock and began to whisper back to the waiter.

Jacques: "Hm..? What? For how long?"

The waiter whispered his response, and Jacques could feel sweat building on his brow as he grew more nervous.

Jacques: "My authorization? Check it again!"

The waiter nods and quickly left the room, and Sleet turned away from the general to give an inquisitive look.

Sleet: "Councilman Schnee?"

Jacques: "Um... yes, I, uh... agree with everything, everything that was, uh, just said. No, uh, no further questions."

Jacques quietened down and begun to compose himself, fixing his tie and brushing away the small beads of sweat. Sleet, Camilla and Robyn stared at him in confusion, while Ironwood narrowed his eyes suspiciously. Robyn turned to look back at Ironwood.

Robyn: "I'm not quite done yet. You're afraid of something, general. Aren't you?"

Ironwood: "I think that's pretty obvious, miss Hill. I'm trying to prevent Atlas from becoming another Beacon, another Haven."

Robyn: "Yet, you don't trust your own Council to help you? Operating in secret? These are the actions of somebody who's hiding something."

Ironwood: "I'm not hiding anything."

Robyn grew a smirk at that statement.

Robyn: "Let's put it to the test then."

Robyn stood up from her chair, and began to walk towards Ironwood while speaking to the Council members.

Robyn: "You're all aware of my semblance. Let's settle it here and now, general Ironwood. Here and now."

Robyn held out her hand to him, and Ironwood stared at it for a moment. Then he glanced to see the three Council members watching closely. Before Ironwood could make his decision, the double doors behind Jacques' chair burst open.

Weiss: "Wait!"

Everyone turned to see Weiss and Hawk had just burst into the room.

Hawk: "Before you do anything else, you need to hear us out."

Weiss: "You've got the wrong man on trial. We know who's been framing Ironwood, who rigged the election. And my father does, too. He's been working with him."

Weiss and Hawk walked up to the table, Weiss standing next to Jacques' chair and Hawk beside her. Jacques eyes widened as he became more nervous, and Weiss took Willow's scroll and set it on the table. She tapped the screen, projecting the holoscreen for everyone to see the video that was currently paused.