Chapter 46: Alone Together

Hawk: "No... Not this again..."

Hawk was standing in that nightmarish place again. Blood red skies casted an eery glow across the black terrain, as the bubbling pools of Grimm surrounded him.

Salem: "Why fight it, my son?"

Hawk looked down, not needing to turn around as Salem had materialized from the shadows and placed her hand on his shoulder.

Salem: "It's in your blood, it's your destiny, we are meant to rule this world... together. As mother and son, as Queen and Prince. Don't you want that?"

Hawk felt a hand cup his chin, lifting his face to meet her eyes.

Hawk: "Mother... You know how desperately I wanted to know you for my entire life, but this feels wrong!"

Salem's eyes showed her sadness as she slowly let go of his chin.

Salem: "What do you know of your past life? I doubt He ever told you."

Hawk: "I just know I'm reincarnated..."

Salem: "Yes, after so many centuries, you have finally come back. I can tell you everything. Show you the past, how happy we were together. All you need to do, is join me."

Salem held out her hands to him, giving a longing look towards Hawk. He felt pain in his chest, wanting to run to his mother. But deep down, he knew he couldn't. He shook his head and took a step away from her, surprising Salem.

Hawk: "I can't... I love you, mother. But I can't stand with you."

Salem closed her eyes for a moment, then looked towards Hawk with a neutral look.

Salem: "Very well... I will simply wait for your decision when we meet face to face. Your destiny is to rule beside me, my child. I've waited this long, I'm sure I can wait a little longer."

Salem raised her hand and pointed to Hawk, and the entire world tipped upside down. Hawk yelled in panic as he fell into a black void, while Salem's glowing red eyes were the only thing he could see.

Hawk jumped awake, covered in sweat as he looked around in panic. He was still in his room, Weiss sleeping peacefully with head resting on his chest. Hawk sighed in relief and wrapped his arms around her. Weiss began to stir as her eyes slowly opened, blushing a light pink when she realized that she was still laying on top of Hawk.

Weiss: "What time is it?"

Hawk glanced at the nightstand, seeing that it was only 6 in the morning.

Hawk: "Too early..."

Weiss giggled and leaned up to kiss him. Then she began to get up, taking a bed sheet to cover herself with as she did.

Weiss: "It's time to get up. Let's go."

Hawk groaned as he covered his eyes. Weiss rolled her eyes as she grabbed her clothes off the ground and set them at the edge of the bed. Then she grabbed his pants and threw them at Hawk. He caught them, grumbling quietly as he got up. The two got dressed and Weiss pulled the blinds open, noticing that Ruby was laying outside watching the sunrise.

Weiss: "Seems we aren't the only ones awake."

Hawk looked over her shoulder in time to see Yang walking out towards Ruby. He pulled on his shirt and went to start putting his armour back on.

Hawk: "Well. I guess coffee and a sunrise is a good way to start the morning."

Weiss smiled and kissed his cheek as she walked past him as she headed to the door. She then glanced back at him as she grabbed the door handle.